Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: What are the chances it’s not breast cancer?  (Read 2486 times)

AndieKC

What are the chances it’s not breast cancer?
« on: June 11, 2022, 03:51:57 PM »

Aged 51, early menopause at 44, on HRT past 4 years (mirena coil, estrogel, recently androfeme). Just been recalled after first mammogram and had further tests yesterday - detailed mammogram, ultrasound and core needle biopsies in left breast. No lumps found on ultrasound, one cyst, I’ve had no symptoms, but a collection of microcalcifications was found in left breast only, over quite a large area - I don’t know how large the area is but the microcalcifications are small Luke grains of salt, starting from near the nipple to the back of the breast. Classified as “indeterminate” at this point - they can’t say whether benign or malignant until results of biopsy come back. No family history of breast cancer or any cancer. No risk factors - boring complete teetotaller since age 19, never smoked, not overweight, active lifestyle. Besides myself with worry - what are the chances it’s benign?

Dreading the prospect of no HRT as I couldn’t cope with the severe symptoms I had without HRT - severe hot flushes followed by cold shivers relentlessly day and night, never slept more than an hour, palpitation severe, resting heart rate at heart attack levels. Brain fog, depression, I had all the symptoms, nearly had a nervous breakdown. HRT resolved the worst symptoms immediately, but recent months - pre mammogram - were all changing doses to prepare for testosterone, then rationed everything due to shortages, then back to full doses, so breasts felt the effects but settled, just before mammogram. High estrogen levels however caused some pain in my left breast  that I kept “mashing” for a week or so, then I reduced estrogen and it settled straight away, but I had the mammogram just at that time. Is there any chance I don’t have cancer?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What are the chances it’s not breast cancer?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 05:38:34 PM »

Huge chances that this is a scare rather than a cancer issue.

:hug:  if the result is a cancer, then don't stop HRT immediately.  Another few weeks won't make that much difference, the important issue being is to get as much info as possible.  Would you consider bilateral mastectomy to lessen any worries? 

If HRT is so dangerous - then why aren't we offered the above as routine? Or at least given it as an option  :-\

I worried more about anxiety stopping me going to all my appts.,  ::).  I had a needle biopsy, followed by lumpectomy; at histology there were small changes at the margins so radiation treatment was given.  As was 'tamoxifen' which made me really ill.

Make a list of your questions and worries to take to the next appt..  Will someone be able to go with you?

AndieKC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 05:46:05 PM »

Hi
I have not been able to go that far in thinking (mastectomy), still hoping for a miracle, clinging to the hope that no lumps were found, etc, clutching at straws. Not sure whether to take husband with me…

Thank you xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 07:04:33 PM »

My husband went to all my Consults. 

Is he generally supportive?

ATB

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 07:18:31 PM »

Please read this. It is most likely not cancer, so no need to worry until they actually say it is. You are likely worrying needlessly:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/worried-about-cancer/pre-cancerous-and-genetic-conditions/breast-calcifications

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:44:48 PM »

I went though a similar experience during my early 40s. 25+ years ago. It took 3 months to decide what they were seeing was ‘tissue change’. I’ve had several scares, being recalled for mammograms and finding a lump myself. Apart from my sister, who died of breast cancer secondaries, I have no family record of breast cancer. The consultant said my sister was a ‘blip’. A sad ‘blip’. Surprisingly, I didn’t panic. Each time benign.

AndieKC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 10:23:57 PM »

Thank you so much ladies. So good to hear the experiences of others, it puts my worrying into perspective.

I’ve read the macmillan article, ny understanding is that microcalcifications are harmless if they are kind of similar in both breasts, mine are not, all are in the left breast only, hence my worries. The consultant declared them “indeterminate” until biopsy results clarify, so couldn’t tell whether benign or malignant. Really really hope it’s a scare.

Anyone knows why the next step - after biopsy results are discussed with multidisciplinary team - I have an appointment booked with a breast surgeon? Is that how it normally works?

Thank you all xxx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 08:02:00 AM »

Is the breast surgery the Consultant that you saw initially?  It may be that you won't need a Team if the results aren't problematic.  You could ring the Consultant's secretary and ask who will be there?  The more you are informed, the less likely you will worry and you can make the list to take with you and your husband to discuss ;-). Some hospitals are reluctant to allow partners at consults: still : however, there is no legal reason why  a patient can't have support.  Especially at an important consult.

AndieKC

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 11:09:54 AM »

The consultant I saw for all the further tests (detailed mammogram, ultrasound, biopsies) is a different one from the one I’ll be seeing next - this is partly due to geographic location and how NHS trusts organise workload. It was explained to me that multidisciplinary team will evaluate biopsy results, standard procedure, so that no single person gets to decide whether results are classified as benign or else. The next appointment is in my local hospital with breast surgeon - this is why I feel so scared. The previous consultant who analysed the detailed diagnostic mammograms and took ultrasound and biopsies classified my findings as ‘indeterminate’ so couldn’t tell more.
Thank you for for all your support ladies xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »

If possible opt for a 'wait and watch' unless it's absolutely certain that any micro-calcifications will be a problem?  I had to be in the proper mind-set B4 even considering having the lump (found on palpation in the bath) examined etc..  That was I was able to deal with what ever the outcome was likely to be.

Let us know how you get on.   :foryou:

AndieKC

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 12:27:59 PM »

Thank you so much for your encouragement, I really hope for good news and some form of “wait and see” approach at first. Will let you know xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 02:55:23 PM »

A week is unlikely to make any difference whilst you make up your mind what steps you would like to take, should they be necessary.  Do you have a date for the appt.?  I may have missed if you said already.  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 04:54:25 PM »

No experience but I hope the results are good.

jasmine5

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »

AndieKC….I’m going through exactly the same as you.  Seven weeks ago I had a mammogram and ultrasound at the request of my GP as I had discovered a small lump which, after waiting almost 10 weeks for an appointment had actually disappeared!  I went to the appointment anyway as I wanted to make sure things were ok, and they discovered I had micro calcifications in my left breast (never heard of this before?). They did a biopsy under ultrasound and two weeks later a breast nurse rang me to say all was ok but they wanted to do a mammogram core-needle biopsy just to make sure.

After that I heard nothing for three weeks and now Ive received an appointment to see the Breast Surgeon at the end of June.  I suffer from terrible anxiety and I’m extremely worried and of course, fear the worse also the appointment is 3 days before I go on holiday, as if I’m not stressed enough! 

Have you had your results yet?  I hope it all goes well for you………

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 10:15:38 AM »

My Consultant would have told me to go on holiday as a few days won't make much difference!

Best 2B seen by a Breast Surgeon.  You could alter the date but it may mean waiting longer.  If you have the Consultant your mind will be easier.  Let us know, Both, how you get on!