Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: what the heck is going on with me  (Read 787 times)

KaraShannon

what the heck is going on with me
« on: May 16, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »

Hi all

so I planned to start continuous HRT.  Keeping the oestrogen patches on but not using Utrogestan atm as bad reaction.  Seeing doctor this week.

But meanwhile period has started and pretty heavy (have had regular and 'normal' periods for 2 years on evorel sequi)

Surely keeping continuous oestrogen for the last few weeks hasn't brought on this heavy period?  I thought progesterone was supposed to do that.  So perhaps my body is in chaos by itself?  Or is this the oestrogen patch?

Thoughts anyone?   ???

KaraShannon

Re: what the heck is going on with me
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:19:47 AM »

I don't think I was clear with my question, so here it is again (I was all over the place when I typed the above)

Wouldn't you think that once on continuous oestrogen and especially not yet using utrogestan, that someone would NOT have a heavy period UNLESS perhaps they are making plenty of their own progesterone atm?

Or could continous oestrogen without progesterone (atm) lead to this?

Thanks for your thoughts  :)

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »

Hi, as I understand it …. without progesterone the uterine lining will just build and build and become very thick. Eventually it gets so thick that it becomes “unstable” and breaks down. So yes it’s possible to get a heavy bleed with no progesterone.

That is why if you have an an annovulatory cycle (ie no progesterone made) you can still have a period (which may be earlier or later or on time!) as the lining becomes too thick and breaks down.

Correct me if I’m wrong someone!

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »

Thanks Vanillalover

I'm only on the first week of continuing with the oestrogen patches, so I imagine what's going on at the moment is from past build up while I was on Evorel Sequi (cyclical hrt, though I've been fine on it for 2 years, just recently felt off, 2 months of labyrinthitis and postural hypotension)

The weird thing is in the last week I felt like I was retaining a lot of water, and now my period has started (only on day 2 but it's heavy) I feel like I've lost weight, I'm retaining a lot of water at times.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »

If there was past build up on evorel sequi, the only thing I can think of is that last October, I added an extra oestrogen patch.  The doctor said that's ok, but I later found out it was unlicensed to do this. 

Maybe that has caused some build up of the uterine lining.  It's all guesswork as the doctor wants me to have a blood test first.