Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: sudden bleeding nose  (Read 2036 times)

holidaylover

sudden bleeding nose
« on: May 15, 2022, 07:50:33 AM »

Morning Ladies, I'm in a big panic.  I have woken up this morning with a bleeding nose which wont stop.  I know I'm a bit of a drama queen, but does anyone what would cause this out of the blue?  I'm 57 and have literally never had a bleeding nose in my life. 

Joaniepat

Re: sudden bleeding nose
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 08:00:13 AM »

An infection might cause this. I was prescribed Naseptin cream for persistent heavy nosebleeds.
JP x

holidaylover

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 08:08:10 AM »

I know this sounds stupid but what would cause an infection up my nose? 

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 08:35:58 AM »

Absolutely no idea! But bugs are all around us ..... 🤷‍♀️.
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 08:41:54 AM »

How long has it been bleeding for and do you trued the usual way to stop it. I'm a frequent nose bleeder unfortunately.  :(

holidaylover

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 09:02:26 AM »

Taz2,  a couple of hours now.  I'm just sitting with my head forward but am on my second roll of toilet paper.  Just when I think it's drying up, I feel it building up and out the blood runs.  I haven't banged it or anything and I'm panicking more as I have never experienced this before.  Hubby said I should plug it up, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do or to let it all out.  I feel it running down the back of my throat and I've just coughed up a little clot!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 01:17:28 PM »

Is it still going? Are you pressing really hard on the fleshy part of the nostril for fifteen minutes? https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nosebleed/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:19:39 PM by Taz2 »

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »

Taz2, it's stopped now.  It stopped for a bit once I had coughed up the clot, then about twenty minutes later it started again.
 I sat pinching it for a while with a bag of frozen peas on bridge and that seemed to do the trick.  I'm more concerned now as to what has caused it, as it's something I have never had before, and quite frightening.  It has done my anxiety no good whatsover I can tell you!  Now I'm just sat waiting on it to start again. 

ATB

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 07:54:39 PM »

It might be nasal polyps. I had this happen when I was young and it went on and on so bad my dad took me to the doctor and they cauterised it. I would get it checked out.

holidaylover

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 08:00:28 AM »

ATB, it's fine now, but next day developed an awful sore throat and cold, so perhaps it was the start of that.

ATB

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 08:15:04 AM »

It can happen with hay fever although it’s usually short-lived. When I was young it would bleed for a few hours stop then start again a few days later. Hopefully your issue has resolved now but do see your GP if it starts again.

holidaylover

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 05:11:39 PM »

Thanks ATB, I'll definately mention it to the doctor, but I actually had a touch of hayfever the day before the nosebleed, and hadn't thought it could be related to that.

ATB

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 05:29:17 PM »

Ah, that might just be it. I hate hay fever! It can definitely result in nose bleeds.