Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone query  (Read 3230 times)

0114tw

Progesterone query
« on: May 10, 2022, 09:36:25 PM »

Hi all. After trying several types of HRT I started cyclical estrogel and progesterone March 2020 for perimenopausal symptoms. Then in 2021 didn’t have a period for months and months. Was advised to go on to continuous gel/progesterone. One month later got a period. Had a scan, all fine, another period, and was advised to restart cyclical regime. I was supposed to stop the progesterone, await period and count that day as day 1. Thing is, I’ve not had a period since and that was 5 months ago. So now I’m still just on gel (2 pumps a day). Anyone had similar? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

sheila99

Re: Progesterone query
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 09:50:51 PM »

I don't think it's safe doing it this way, you need progesterone to keep your lining thin. Would your gp send you for a scan to check it? I think you either need to restart continuous or else take the sequi dose without waiting for a bleed. I assume you know you're at greater risk of cancer if your lining builds up?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »

hi tw

You haven't said what dose of progesterone and oestrogen you are taking? This will affect how we answer you. Also what your cycle was doing before you started HRT? The effects of both are dose dependent - higher doses of oestrogen need correspondingly higher doses of progesterone to keep the lining thin.

A proportion of women on HRT do not bleed even on cyclical HRT but this would be more likely later in menopause when natural ovulation is occurring rarely. If your scan was OK then that's a good sign but as sheila99 says - you should not wait for your period before starting the progesterone. That advice you were given was incorrect. They should have said, that after a certain length of time if period has not come then start the progesterone anyway and take it for 12-14 days depending on the preparation

Hurdity x.

0114tw

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »

Thank you so much both. I have been wondering if that’s what I should have done. I’ve been waiting to see if my period would start, then waiting for a GP to call me back, and time’s passed. The estrogel dose has varied over time but I’m on two pumps per day and was prescribed two progesterone per night. Can I just start progesterone now then? So glad I asked this question, my GP call back isn’t until June. Thanks again.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:47:51 AM »

Yes just start the prog. If it's utrogestan yes take 2  ie 200 mg and start a 28 day cycle, taking the utrogestan for 14 days then 14 days off. You may have heavy bleeding until the lining has shed. Do please also report this to your medical practice because it is not right to have left you this long without progesterone. Also let us know the outcome and what happens to your bleeds etc. You might like to suggest they scan you again because of the incorrect advice as it would be good to know how thick your lining has become - tell them you are concerned about this.

Hurdity x

0114tw

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 07:38:26 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. Will do. Started utrogestan last night so will go back to cyclical. Many thanks again. Feeling very relieved.