Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Effects of Diet  (Read 8056 times)

ElkWarning

Re: Effects of Diet
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »

Yes Tora, I’m growing a decent chunk of our food in a permaculture garden and planning something larger soon with a food forest. Fermenting and pickling might be worth you trying out.

This sounds brilliant, could you share how you're managing to secure such a good, reliable yield? I've been allotmenting for five years now, and crops are increasingly impacted by dry/cold months (when they should be wetter and warmer). We're usually there 2-3 times a week. This year the issue is with snails, so much rain, so much chomping at the plant outs. Even the most experienced growers have been struggling for quite a while. I was chatting to a guy who's been leading the main community allotment site in town for the past 30 years last night and he said it's been a real struggle for the past 10 or so, largely due to weather conditions. The permaculture trust in our local town also report similar. I'd love to know the secret of your success.

ATB

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »

?? I’m not sure what we would be doing any differently to anyone else. Check out YouTube uk gardening channels, plenty of very successful stories for you to follow that have helped us a lot. We are looking for a larger piece of land now for the food forest so that’s yet to come. My friend is in a communal permaculture plot which is v successful. Slugs and snails are hard to manage within allotments I heard, an old neighbour in London struggled more on her allotment than home garden, we were novices and had a crazy successful garden there even in pots. I don’t think I do anything special, my own compost, companion plant etc. We do it cheap, save seeds, grab stuff on freecycle or neighbours to build things… I don’t have secrets!! I think I’m quite a bad gardener but my folks grew our food too, grew up on a farm so maybe it’s in my genes!

Tora

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »

I grow lettuce, Choi, radish under glass to try and avoid snails but the odd one gets through. I’m no expert, very much trying to keep up with nature!
You need to like raspberries in this house and now asparagus as I cut it back and it’s re-shot and grows faster than Russian Vine!
Cherries are ripe and on today’s job list.
A lot of the glut’s here are fruit and the usual runner beans, courgette, tomatoes, potatoes later on. I’ve got quite a big bog garden and the snails totally strip the hosta’s in pots there.
I’m in London and use leaf loam as leaves are a major PITA here!

ATB

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »

We have a lot of frogs and toads so while we still get slugs and snails somehow so far nothing catastrophic- except the 1 year old cat won’t leave toads alone despite their venom already getting in her eye!! I haven’t protected the raised beds and we are on a farm so plenty of rabbits but so far it’s ok too. Cucamelons not as good this year but I planted some too early so fingers crossed for the current plants.

ElkWarning

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2022, 03:26:38 PM »

Yeah, I think some of it is environmental conditions, we're on chalk and near the coast, plus up a mighty hill. The wind has been savage the last couple of years and I'm pretty sure the over enthusiastic rain fall has stripped the soil with run off. I agree with what you say about allotments though, it only takes a few lazy people to let theirs go to pot and the snails find the best feasting areas  ... We put in some tomatoes weeks ago, and they're fine, but literally haven't grown upwards an inch. Even the hedging that we're trying to cultivate for wind protection (hawthorn and blackthorn) is only properly taking off where it's sheltered by neighbour's sheds.

On the upside, bumper strawberry 🍓 crop this year, lots of wild kale, globe artichokes are doing ok and the frog 🐸 zone seems to be progressing.

Tora

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »

I love listening to the frogs at night.
Very jealous about globe artichokes, I planted a big patch and I’m sure they’re Cardoon’s  :(

ATB

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2022, 07:22:32 PM »

Our tomatoes have too many leaves, I think too much fermented nettle fertiliser. But we’re getting lots of flowers now so think they’re ok. I put them in different areas and grow 3-4 varieties. The yellow pear are quite tall already. I spent large parts of my life living by the sea and it is harder IMO to grow veges. My grandparents had an orchard near the coast and things like rhubarb did well. I have a lot of issues in the garden but somehow it does ok, I’ve got the time and the space to get to it every morning and evening and then a big part of the weekend. We are clearing a lot of overgrown stuff at the moment, so much nettle!

ElkWarning

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2022, 08:05:49 PM »

We're also letting some teasel grow to encourage birds with seeds and water drinking leaves - fun hope that the ravens will eat the snails.

We've been fertilising with pony pooh, also nettles and comfrey, plus we do kind of ok with compost. And we've finally managed to get the sorrel to self seed. Bizarrely, the herbs are doing pretty well, lemon verbena, etc. Raspberries seem happy, and a couple of apple trees, the rhubarb is quite jolly. I suppose I miss my toms, courgettes and butternut squashes. I also forgot to plant beetroot this year.

On a slightly different note, has anyone tried the plant paradox?

Tora

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2022, 07:26:44 AM »

Nettles are our easiest compost but are a huge problem that I am trying to love instead of control with a strimmer! This year I’m trying to concentrate on plants that don’t need watering/too much care as trying to sort out tree planting/boundary/access. I’ve set up a few swaps on a pick it yourself basis so that less fruit is wasted/ we get veg in return but I regret not doing courgettes/squash too!
Years ago I tried to grow on Harris, the wind was a problem, nothing grew over a foot high or past flower stage :(
Not tried Paradox, looks interesting, are you growing them? I’m not great with house plants other than palms/cacti.

Minusminnie

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2022, 06:22:22 AM »

Our tomatoes have too many leaves,

Do you pinch out the side shoots where the side branches meet the main stem ? Less energy then goes into producing leaves.
My 90 year old neighbour is a plantsman and gave us a variety called Akron one year which we planted outside and got a high yield. A large red flavoursome tomato.

I'm trying to encourage grandchildren to garden.  I had a nice 'soup' in a china bowl last week of water, nasturtium leaves and chopped up raw broad bean !

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 06:35:19 AM by Minusminnie »

ATB

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2022, 06:39:04 AM »

Minusminnie, yes thank you I do, I pinch the suckers but it’s just got too much nitrogen and so you end up with more main leaves and less flowers. We seem to have pulled them back though! Getting more flowers now.

Dandelion

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2022, 10:43:03 PM »

Hello ladies.

For digestive health reasons I eat a mainly plant based diet, so in effect I am vegan. I am wondering if this has any impact, good or bad, on my hormones. I suspect not as I share so many of the same experiences as other ladies here who I assume are eating a more standard diet however I don't know that for certain. I would be interested to hear about your diets ladies and if you feel that what you eat, or avoid eating is helping you during the menopause.

I look forward to reading your comments and hopefully we can all learn from each other.

Take care everyone.

K.
My diet is mainly plant based, I do like eggs, but feel bad eating them. Fried eggs.
So, yeah, I am mostly vegan, meds excluded.

I never thought about hormones.
I get a bit pi$$ed off with checking what interacts with what, as I am weaning off valium, and when I used to stick to "foods-you should-eat-when-weaning-off-benzodiazepines" it was such a hassle I gave up, some foods like spices make valium stay in the system, some veggies make it leave the system, - tangent over :D

I guess we could google "vegan" + "menopause" I might add it to my list of web searches.

I eat a lot of ready meals, fake meats (I love those, with nice bread and vegan mayo/salad cream) nuts, I used eat avocados, until I realised cartels ran them. I should eat more fruit, but I do drink fruit smoothies, I love Tescos naked one, it's dear, but not if you dilute it, you can get five bottles of tasty fruit drink for the price of one by adding water.
I became lazy in summer, with the heat, eating lots of sandwiches.
Today's food was one of those ciabattas with Marg, then a black bean and seitan ready meal and another ciabatta with Marg, not too healthy. I have vitamins and supplements, and of course, the hrt, I can't wait to come off hrt.

PS, yeah B12 once a day. I read megadosing with that helps depression but I never tried it and didn't read enough to comment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]