Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Adrenal Insufficiency/Cortisol & DHEA testing.  (Read 3092 times)

Postmeno3

Adrenal Insufficiency/Cortisol & DHEA testing.
« on: March 25, 2022, 10:44:07 AM »

Hi there,
I just wanted to say a few things about starting out on assessing adrenal function via saliva testing. This HAS helped me in the past, BUT was not undertaken reactively. I had read a great deal, especially by James L. Wilson, done an inventory of my symptoms and discussed the pros and cons with a medical herbalist. It's important to know that you need a fully qualified, registered, complementary health practitioner like a medical herbalist, qualified functional practitioner etc to formally be responsible and interpret for you as the process is not recognised by conventional medicine and a gp cannot support you.
Generally speaking, these tests cannot be randomly applied for and would not benefit you anyway if done that way. They are expensive. One can expect to pay between £200 and £300 for testing and full interpretation alone. This is before any remedies or supplements are prescribed which are usually needed long-term and may be multiple, certainly initially.
I just wanted to offer a full account of the process; in my view, one not to be undertaken lightly, reactively or without realising the implications. There is undoubtedly a place for adrenal testing if enough information-gathering has been done first. It is not clear-cut testing like an anaemia test, for example; having grey areas and may well be requested to be repeated fairly frequently because of this. It offers a holistic approach with lifestyle changes vital for any follow-up to it to show any real and consistent progress. Some of these may be quite radical like stopping/changing work, relocating if affordable and realistic for your circumstances etc. My offering would be simply that this is seen as only one of many routes to go down, is not a cure-all for hormonal issues and can be informative within these caveats. I hope my intention to deliver an objective account comes across here, the intention to help from personal experience.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:41:59 PM by Postmeno3 »

Marchlove

Re: Adrenal Insufficiency/Cortisol & DHEA testing.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 06:17:11 PM »

You are quite right Postmeno3 and I stand corrected in perhaps advocating the use of this test so freely.
However, it helped me so enormously in the past, from being practically bed bound, to being able to function in a far better way.
The supplements themselves are not expensive as such for those who already use supplements but I’m mindful of the fact that even they can be beyond some peoples budgets.
The real cost as you say will be the practitioner required to assist you but going forward you can learn from them and be able to interpret and supplement in your own. I can say this from personal experience as that is what I have done.
It is as you say one of many routes but I think it only fair to members who maybe aren’t even aware of such a route that it is brought to their awareness so that they can make an informed decision as to whether it might be right for them. x

ElkWarning

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »

Does this link to another thread? It's be interested in reading the full chain. I do work with a medically qualified herbalist and she has mentioned adrenal insufficiency to me.

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:33:14 PM »

No it doesn’t link to another chain unfortunately. X