Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sometimes it is just Thrush  (Read 2712 times)

Dierdre

Sometimes it is just Thrush
« on: March 20, 2022, 08:20:38 AM »

I've been really struggling with what I thought was a bad flare up with my VA and/or Lichens sclerosus for the last 3 weeks. Doubled up with the Vagifem  and Ovestin, ordered YES WB  and a new Dermovate cream but nothing worked.  Normally the steroid cream soothes but even this was burning.
Never crossed my mind it could be Thrush (no discharge) and we always assume VA mimics Thrush like symptoms.
Anyway, last resort got a Caneston  oral tablet and within 24 hours the burning stopped and after a couple of days things are gettingI back to normal. 
Wish I tried that 3 weeks ago but I'll know better next time, it's sometimes just Thrush!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:22:34 AM by Dierdre »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sometimes it is just Thrush
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:09:43 AM »

That itching can be intense, 4 me it was too high up into the vagina to scratch  >:(

I can't remember if there was a discharge, it was 1982 the 1st time.   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 10:31:41 AM »

Any improvement?

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »

Yes thanks, back to normal within a few days  after taking the Caneston tablet.  Got an awful cold and cough now (tested negative for covid) think i must be run down and need a holiday.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 09:13:39 PM »

At least we are getting some warmer days in middle England.  Had plenty of VitD today  8)

Nas

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »

Did you wee lots with thrush or just the burning?
I’ve got either thrush or VA. Constantly weeing and bladder feels irritated.
On oral HRT but it clearly isn’t enough Oestrogen. Anything higher than 1mg and I bleed or get cramps.

Bought some vagifem, as ovestin is doing zero.  :'(Q

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 06:09:16 AM »

Hi Nas
Just the soreness and burning, which made me think for a couple of weeks I was having a VA flare up. After upping my meds made no difference I got the Caneston oral one dose tablet.
I use both Vagifem and Ovestin, I find Vagifem is good for inside and bladder issues and the Ovestin is good for the outer bits.
Although I was ok for a week after the Caneston just had to get another, sometimes it takes a couple to do the trick.
The only way to be sure if its Thrush is to have a swab test, but to be honest by the time I'd have got an appointment at the doctors it's quicker to just buy over the counter and if it don't work then make an appointment.

JoJo42

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 04:34:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing that info, Dierdre.

I had a flare up of VA thisnyear that I didn’t even know was a flare-up. I had no idea that flare-ups were “a thing” or even possible once someone was on vagifem. I thought I had cystitis/ a really bad uti (test came back negative). Came on here for advice and searched through the threads and found loads of info that related to what I was experiencing so I reloaded the vagifem and then doubled-up the vagifem for two weeks after - did the trick and settled everything right down again. It’s really useful to also know that thrush and VA flare are also similar - I will bear that in mind for the future. Thank you

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »

Keep up with the VA treatment JoJo42.  Every night if necessary.

JoJo42

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »

Thanks CLKD xx I have upped the vagifem to every night now and am doing much better now. It helped a lot to find out that lots of women use it every night.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 05:24:47 PM »

Now that you are more comfy, there's no rush to alter treatment is there? 

JoJo42

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 05:43:50 PM »

I’ve had to up the dose gradually as time has gone on - going from twice a week then to three times a week and then to 5, so I think using it every night might be long term now. I’m on sequi hrt but think I am still having my own periods as they are  every 28 days and a bit out of sync with the withdrawal bleed (no bleeding or spotting in between though so assuming that’s ok) so I think maybe the vagifem doesn’t always gets absorbed properly and perhaps that’s what caused the flare up, that - and the fact that I did a trial without the patches which must have sent the hormone levels all wonky

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »

Hormones  ::)

JoJo42

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 06:02:56 PM »

Aye. My mum was one of those who sailed through meno so when all of it hit me like a ton of poo I had no idea what was going on. Thanking my lucky stars I found this site when i did xx

Peana

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 06:19:06 PM »

I haven't had thrush for 20-odd years, and now I've had it twice in 3 months!  I'm keeping a symptom diary in case I'm moving into VA teritory.  It's a complete pain, as I live in a rural area and I don't want to make a special trip to the pharmacy.  I've got some cream left from last time, so have started using that, but there's not much left.

I did a short herbalism course recently.  We were told about live yoghurt on a tampon (which I've done in the past), but also threading a clove of garlic on a string and inserting that in the vagina over night as garlic is an anti-fungal (making sure everything is clean, so not introducing mud or anything like that).  Has anyone tried that?  Did it for the first time last night and it does give you a funny taste of garlic in your mouth, but things seem a bit calmer today.  Any thoughts about persisting with this - when I google it things seem to be divided into 2 camps (i) it's brilliant, or (ii) it doesn't do anything and could be dangerous?
Pages: [1] 2