Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Paula Vennels and her cronies  (Read 4584 times)

getting_old

Paula Vennels and her cronies
« on: January 11, 2024, 05:49:03 PM »

Have to say I'm shocked and disappointed in the entire story about the subpostmasters. Can't believe the way they were treated by Vennels and that Angela woman. Handing back her CBE is a mere token compared to what the subpostmasters have endured. I found it hard to watch "Mr Bates vs the PO" and remember that it was actually a true story, because even in fiction people aren't treated as badly. I truly hope that justice actually is served on those responsible.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Paula Vennels and her cronies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 06:06:50 PM »

Why did it take a TV programme to hi-light the inadequacy of the whole IT system?  Questions need to be asked and heads should role.  If she really cared Vennels would have handed it back immediately. 

Also, why has it taken so long for those wrongly accused to be listened to?  Big Firms 'talk' perhaps? 

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 05:10:55 PM »

I agree. The anguish and pain these poor people must have felt. Years it went on! Some incarcerated, some vilified to the point they either left their home or, worse, took their own lives! Disgusting!
I’ll tell you what, I’d be wanting more than financial compensation. Those responsible (Post Office and government) have got to be held accountable. No mercy!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 05:25:42 PM »

Yep.  Some should be done for perjury.  Some paid back thousands of pounds rather than spending time in jail.  I suppose the industry is franchised so they didn't feel as though they had support or that any1 else was having problems with the Fujitsu system. 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 07:41:28 PM »

Somebody in the PO should have spotted an unusually large number of bent postmaster.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 07:44:20 PM »

Who weren't?  However, the PO believes/d that the Fujitsu system wasn't faulty.  That it couldn't be accessed from 'outside' ........ a friend left the PO when the new system was muted as she didn't want to be held responsible for a possible 'mistake'. 

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 07:56:25 PM »

Somebody in the PO should have spotted an unusually large number of bent postmaster.

Exactly. So for the last 100 years we average maybe 5 bent postmasters and this year we have 500. How can something like that be ignored?? Surely that should have been flagged up and investigated instead of telling each and every postmaster they were the only one!!!

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 07:58:00 PM »

I agree. The anguish and pain these poor people must have felt. Years it went on! Some incarcerated, some vilified to the point they either left their home or, worse, took their own lives! Disgusting!
I’ll tell you what, I’d be wanting more than financial compensation. Those responsible (Post Office and government) have got to be held accountable. No mercy!

Agree. Not just the PO but Fujitsu as well.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 02:19:28 PM »

I think that depends on the circumstances a bit. Fujitsu won't investigate unless the PO tell them there's a problem. I suspect there's going to be lot of back covering here.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 02:36:46 PM »

It's been going on since earlier than 2009.  PO wouldn't believe that a system build by Fujitsu could be infiltrated. 

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 07:04:24 PM »

I think that depends on the circumstances a bit. Fujitsu won't investigate unless the PO tell them there's a problem. I suspect there's going to be lot of back covering here.

The fact that Fujitsu had some sort of private room with about 20 levels of security, forget what the guy in charge called it, where they were continually changing the data on the postmasters' systems should have given them an indication that all wasn't right, along with the fact that they were taking the calls and continually telling the postmasters they were the only one having problems. The whole thing sounds wrong.