Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is Turmeric safe?  (Read 5942 times)

beanybear

• First Flush
Is Turmeric safe?
« on: September 15, 2023, 12:45:04 PM »

Hi, I am on HRT and have recently got Rheumatoid Arthritis triggered by stress and sleepless nights due to caring for my mother, so am exploring any and all ways to self treat rather than take prescribed medicine. I have started using Turmeric oils on my hands and last week taking Turmeric capsules (600mg) but I only take one a day (when it says to take two) because I'm not sure if it's safe/ok. But I read somewhere that you shouldn't take it if you are on HRT but I think that was to do with it competing for the receptors or something (so it blocks the oestrogen from working as well). Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this? Or any other recommendations? I do also take Vit D3 and Vit K2 daily

Penguin

Re: Is Turmeric safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

Hmm I didn't know there was an issue taking it with hrt. I take a high strength one called Curcumin Elite by Life Extension (2 per day) and have done for over a year. Also started hrt 9 months ago and it appears to be working 🤷‍♂️. Did what you read indicate it could he dangerous or just that the hrt wouldn't work as well if it could use less receptors?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is Turmeric safe?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 02:54:25 PM »

One would have to take a LOT of turmeric for it to be activated.  The spice is used in Indian cooking.  It stains everything yellow.

Any product applied to the skin with a gentle massage should give some relief, an addition of the circling movements and warmth.

It won't hurt if you add it to food.  However, as with any alternative, these should be treated with respect. 

Why not try approved, tested medication for your RA ?   I would avoid something that hasn't been tested and approved by NICE especially if symptoms are acute.  Years ago gold injections were used for patients with intense, unrelenting RA pain.  OUCH.  RA is charaterestic with clawed painful, inflamed joints.  It's an auto immune disease.  OA is wear and tear, which can also be painful and restrictive.  A friend went to Corfu during UK winters where his RA improved a lot, due to the warmth.  His whole demeanour improved, he was more relaxed, able to go fishing etc.. 

There is a physio method of hot/cold water treatment.  Me, I would put my affected joints into a bowl of warm water to soak.  It reminds me of adding mustard to bowls B4 taking part in sponsored walks, don't know whether it made any difference  :-\ - sorry a bit of a meander, that.

Which symptom would you like to ease with your HRT?  Let us know how you get on?