Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: After a mastectomy?  (Read 1271 times)

Lyncola

After a mastectomy?
« on: January 20, 2022, 08:48:52 AM »

Hello Ladies,
My husband is having a double mastectomy, not due to cancer but to get rid of his man breast.
He got them as a young boy and at age 53, wants them gone.
My question is to anyone that’s had a double mastectomy, what to expect after the operation?
How long you took to recover? How much pain? Just any information that you think will help?
Thank you for any reply’s

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: After a mastectomy?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:22 PM »

This is something that his Surgeon needs to discuss.  Each recovery will be different.  He won't feel like lifting for ages ........ pain relief should be given B4 he leaves hospital. 

Lyncola

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:48:27 AM »

My husband has came back from seeing the surgeon. Pain killers will be given after the operation.
He’s not allowed to drive for two weeks or exercise or lift anything heavy.
He will wear compression for two weeks and will have bags attached to him for a week, has to be empty every day.

I will not work so I can look after him, I will feel better after the operation and start seeing him get better.
I did have a very close friend who had a double mastectomy and would love to talk to her, but she passed away over 4 years ago of lung cancer. :'( I miss talking to her, she spoke her mind and told you what she thought

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »

All the best for your DH. It takes courage. I had abdominoplasty after childbirth, not only for comfort, but for mental health reasons. It took 10 years for my stomach to feel it belonged to me. I had altered sensation, not pain. I couldn’t bear it being touched, which made intimacy difficult, so maybe that might be an issue for a while possibly.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 05:43:39 PM »

Earlier today I was wondering how your DH has been getting on.  Let us know how he gets on.

It is important to allow the drains to remain in place as long as possible, to be certain it's completely empty.  That lessens the risk of needing physio later on.

Good Luck!

Lyncola

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 08:43:20 AM »

I believe the drains come out 7 days after surgery, I will have to drive him to the surgeon office as he’s not allowed to drive for two weeks.

His operation is on 15th of February, I will let you know how he goes. Nobody knows his having this operation except our daughters and my very good friend who I work with. But he’s not telling work (hopefully they will let him have sick leave. We have got a medical certificate, and he has 84 sick days. But from past experience they can be idiots to deal with). And not tell both sets of parents, which means I’m limited to ask for any extra help.
It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 09:16:15 AM »

Get lots of grub into the freezer?  Quick and easy?  MayB a few extra sheets in case the drains, well, drain ......... he may find it easier to sit up to sleep initially so good support pillows to prop him with.  I always advise ladies to buy button down nighties because lifting arms after surgery can be very difficult.  So mayB button down pyjamas tops rather than T-shirts?

Lyncola

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »

Thanks CLKD, great advice. He already planing to sleep in our lounge room recliner chair. And he only wears button up tops, never a t shirt as he feels uncomfortable with the way he looks in them.
He is excited for after he recovers to by new clothes he never felt comfortable in before.

And food in the freezer is a great idea to, we did that when I had my hysterectomy.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 11:09:44 AM »

Morning.  I have a few useful bits of info.  ;)