Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is 12 days Utro enough for 6 pumps Oestrogel?  (Read 981 times)

Turkish delight

Is 12 days Utro enough for 6 pumps Oestrogel?
« on: January 18, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »

Hia gals!

Just a quick question,
Does the ratio of 12 days on Utro a month with 6 pumps of Ostrogel gel sound normal?
I recently had to up to 6 pumps from 5 and a half as symptoms of meno came back thick and fast.
I do wonder if I'm taking more Oestrogel than is normal, or am I? what is the standard here pump count-wise?

Like some here, I'm not in love with the Uto phase of my cycle, I call it my Nasty girl phase!
Neither is my husband in love with the Utro effect, poor sod! So don't want to prolong the agony of that phase.

I have regular bleeds on the previous regime of 5 and a half pumps of O gel, so imagine 12 days of Utro is ok?
You can probably tell I'm stabbing in the dark here, as I have GP'S who don't have a clue either.

Please help!
Thank you  :D

sheila99

Re: Is 12 days Utro enough for 6 pumps Oestrogel?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 05:55:55 PM »

I don't think taking it for longer will be beneficial. If you're not getting enough it's the dose that needs looking at. How much are on and which delivery method?
 I was told max 6 pumps but haven't needed more than 4. As you're using the minimum amount to control your symptoms probably your blood levels are 'normal' and the high dose is needed because you don't absorb well? So you may not need more utro than someone else with same blood levels on a lower dose.

Turkish delight

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 06:33:34 PM »

Hia Sheila,
Thank you for taking the time to help me  :) I do appreciate it.

I'm having 12 days of 100mg Utro vaginally, works well and as it should on the 5 and a half pumps, but now on 6, as of 2 weeks ago.
I did try 200 a long time ago which was too much, as in side effects and too much for the dose of O gel I was on at the time. Don't like the idea of taking 200mg but obv would if necessary.

Yes, I must be one of the ones who doesn't absorb the O gel well enough. Since upping the gel my symptoms are getting better, thank goodness.

Thanks again  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:09:43 PM »

As long as you're having a decent bleed you're probably OK but the manufacturer says 200mg regardless of the route and I'm not sure Dr Newson has tested it with high doses. If you're getting towards meno you may find it's better now. I could barely function on it in peri but now I rarely have a cycle of my own I'm OK til about day 8 and then it's only mild fatigue. If you're worried about it perhaps have a scan in a few months to check it's OK. I use 200mg vaginally (tried less and didn't have a bleed).

Turkish delight

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:39:14 PM »

Right, so you think I ought really to be on 299mg 12 days.

I am 55 and think my periods have stopped, but don't know if I'm in meno now as it's masked by the HRT regime now.

For some reason, I thought most on here took 100mg Utro when administered vaginally and 200mg if orally. Is that a thing or have I got old info?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:06:05 PM »

It's Louise newson who says you can halve the dose if you use it vaginally, the manufacturer says 200mg whichever way you take it. Take your pick who you believe. My view is that it's likely they've done more testing than she has, it's probably safe enough at low/medium doses but I personally wouldn't risk it at a high dose without a scan in a few months time. That's just my opinion though, you may decide differently. Perhaps it depends on how bad you feel on it as well as how much you bleed.

Turkish delight

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »

I getcha!

Very helpful, thank you for your wise words  :)