Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Weaning off beta blocker  (Read 4534 times)

JoannFran

Weaning off beta blocker
« on: January 14, 2022, 11:06:14 AM »

Hi there

I’m currently on 1.25mg of Bisoprolol beta blocker after having and SVT where my heart went to 210 BPM for nearly an hour. Had all heart checks and all ok. Cardiologist says to start weaning off Bisoprolol at the end of feb (go to half everyday for 2 weeks and then stop).
I’ve read horror stories about beta blocker withdrawals and I’m really really scared that the SVT will happen again.
Does anyone have any beta blocker withdrawal stories? I know everyone is different but just want to be prepared.
Thanks so much xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weaning off beta blocker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »

I stopped mine overnight.  In 2002 I was on 80mg propranolol 3 times a day for a month; then dropped to 40mg at night.  Then I split the dose as I was getting early morning headaches: eased into 20mg at night again, due to headaches for 2 years.  Stopped in 2020 and have been fine.

If you worry then maybe after the 2 weeks go every 3rd day for the next week ....... it depends on how you feel.  The what ifs don't help!

JoannFran

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:50:29 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  I hope you're well :-)

Thats reassuring to hear.  I'm hoping that being on them for 3 months has 'reset' my heart back to its normal pace - here's hoping!!

You're right, the what if's definitely don't help.  I'm bad for thinking it will always be the worse case senario  :'(

I guess worse ways I can just go back on them!!

Thanks again.  Have a lovely weekend xxx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:37:35 PM »

Tnx.  Weekend looks good thus far ;-). 

When I weaned off an AD I had to get used to feeling different for a couple of days each time I reduced the dose.  Survived  ;)

jules55

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 11:47:54 PM »

I would like to jump onto this thread, because I've recently been trying to wean off Propranolol myself. I've been on  80 mg Slow Release for around 16 yrs, for anxiety. I'm pretty sure now it was perimenopause I was in rather than anxiety, but it wasn't recognised as much back then so I was given these Propranolol.  The last month or so I've been getting very light headed at times, and feel anxious, cold, especially after eating, and read somewhere that these tablets can give these symptoms, I phoned the Dr, and asked if I could be weaned off them, so she advised me to start with 40mg daily and take another one if I felt I needed it. The first few days I felt a lot better, but then got hit by Covid. This was 5 days ago, Although I haven't felt too bad, I've noticed I'm feeling lightheaded again today, and very cold etc, but I'm not sure if it's the Covid, or the withdrawal of the Propranolol. I really want to get off these tablets all together, but I'm really struggling with these symptoms. Has anyone any ideas? Or been through the same thing. x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 08:03:34 AM »

Your medication wasn't monitored well then Jules     :-\.  80mg is a high dose.  I would stick with 40mg for a week especially as you have Covid.  Then see how you feel.  Although you want to stop it isn't wise to drop the medication suddenly.  I would then go 40mg alternate nights, then twice a week ........ in the meantime ask for 20mg so that you can drop the dose again.

JoannFran

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »

Hi - I’ve been feeling really cold and occasionally light headed since having covid in oct. I think  whatever symptoms you suffer with, getting covid seems to exacerbate them. I was anxious due to peri and then got covid and anxiety went through the roof.

The beta blockers make me feel so lethargic and not my usual self but I’m scared about the high heart rate when I come off them. I’ve read horror stories. I think the best advice is from CLKD to cut dose in half for a few weeks and then in half again. This is what my cardiologist has told me to do. I think any withdrawal from meds will have some effect on your body but doing it slowly should have the least impact. And it’s worth persevering if you weren’t feeling great on them.

Hope it goes well. Let us know how you get on xx

jules55

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:27 PM »

Thank you both, yes I will carry on with the 40mg daily for. now,  get over Covid and then start a proper withdrawal period. CLKD, I will get some 20mg too. The symptoms are so confusing though, because I get like a heavy feeling in my head, forehead, lightheadedness, really cold, and shaky.That's on the tablets, but it was these symptoms I went to the Drs for all those years ago.  🙄
I also may ask for a blood test, just to check thyroid etc.
Thank you again, hope your symptoms improve too JoannFran. Perhaps we can make notes 😀

JoannFran

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 04:29:46 PM »

Hi jules55

Wondered how you are doing with the beta blocker withdrawal?  Are you over covid now?  Hope you wasn't too bad with it.

I'm starting weaning off bisoprolol next week and dreading it.

xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:32:44 PM »

What I had to realise was that any withdrawal feelings were that: after 24 hours they didn't get any worse which was my worry. 

jules55

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 09:58:01 PM »

Hi JoannFran

Thank you for asking,  I have finally beat Covid, although still can't smell or taste anything! 

With regards to the Propranalol, I'm now having 40mg daily, instead of the 80 and to be honest it's been fine, I
    certainly feel a lot better in myself, I don't have the lightheadedness so much, and have more energy. Although
    having said that, I have tried to drop to having the 40mg every other day, but after the 24 hrs, I can feel the
   anxiety building up, with feeling cold, very shaky, and can't concentrate. I have thought to maybe try having
   20mg daily, and see what happens. I have been on these tablets a very long time, so maybe my body needs time
   to adjust.

Let me know how you get on, it is scary I know, and totally understand what your going through, it's a case of
   taking it one day at a time, one thing that helped me, was I kept some spare tablets in reserve, just in case I
   needed one.
   Take care xxxx

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:32:34 AM »

Just a thought, when I had beta blockers I could break them in half, so you could say drop down to 30 by cutting one of the 40 mg in half. I got a pill cutter from Amazon and it has been so useful. Much better to go slow!

jules55

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 11:44:50 PM »

Hi Gnatty    yes I will have a look for a pill cutter, I normally try with a knife, and the tablet ends up everywhere!  also dropping down in tens is a better idea, so will try that. Thank you

KaraShannon

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »

Joann Fran

I know this thread is old now, but wondering how things went for you? 

Or if anyone else here has been through this.

I've been on Bisoprolol for a while and need to withdraw but accidentally began the withdrawal over Christmas, as I was given a different brand of tablet, different shape and the way I've been cutting it means I've had less.

Currently sleeping around the clock, weird feelings of too much or too little blood sugar (had all this before when lowered the dose before, not worried, it's the withdrawal process and it's mild and temporary little clusters of it during the day).  I hadn't planned to do this over Christmas, but it was something that I needed to do so just going to go with it now. 

Wondering if anyone else gets excessive hunger and weird blood sugar imbalances while withdrawing?