Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Polymyalgia  (Read 3735 times)

Pennyfarthing

Polymyalgia
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:35:28 PM »

Seen the GP again today.  I did have a UTI a couple of days before Xmas and had 7 days antibiotics.  I am better than I was but still getting lower back pain which goes right through to my abdomen and feels like period pains.

I have had terrible aching shoulders, neck and arms for several months so she  thinks it may  be polymyalgia rheumatics so I went for a load of blood tests as well.  The physio I saw thought I might have fibromyalgia but she thinks polymyalgia. I have to see her again when results come through.

Taz2

Re: Polymyalgia
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »

Sorry to hear this Pennyfarthing. Hope you get your results soon. I have had a few friends with PMR the latest being a male friend in his 60s. He was finding it difficult to do his job properly and his doctor totally missed the PMR possibility. We had a chance conversation in the pub and I mentioned PMR and he then suggested this to the doctor. He's beginning to feel better now but it's going to be a while before he can come off the steroid.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:13:55 PM »

My Mum had this for months.  It is characteristic in many cases; she began to stiffen up with a lot of aching until she couldn't move: Dad had to help her out of bed, get her dressed, hold a glass to her mouth.   She was given steroids which caused her face to become bigger; it took 2.5 years B4 she felt better.  It's a rheumatic disease so affects people differently.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 10:49:06 PM »

Sorry you're suffering, I hope it turns out to be something easily cured.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »

Let us know how you get on PF.  The sooner you get some treatment the better.  :foryou:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 09:58:50 AM »

Thanks. Results should be back early next week but now I am having trouble getting to see GP again, who told me to go and see her when they’re in! I am hoping it is not polymyalgia as she says treatments will be steroids and I read that they can cause puffiness and weight gain!

As I left she mentioned my weight and I know I need to lose quite a bit but this past year has been so awful for many reasons that some days I feel so anxious that I don’t want to eat at all although I cook for the others.  Then I have a couple of days when I feel a bit brighter and I eat for England.

I just cannot face going back to SW again as I meet the same people who have been going on/off for decades and are still struggling to keep weight off.

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »

My dad has just been diagnosed with this.

His gp was very quick to spot it. He has been on the steroids around 4 weeks - no issues with them. Not increased his appetite. They are helping.

He's to go back every 3 weeks at mo for bloods. I'm on it though. She wants to see him face to face, I make sure the receptionist is told that. If left to him, he'd just roll over...

Have hope. A diagnosis abd some treatment is better than the pain. I believe it is a long road, but they know the steroids work. X

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 04:14:28 PM »

My dad has just been diagnosed with this.

His gp was very quick to spot it. He has been on the steroids around 4 weeks - no issues with them. Not increased his appetite. They are helping.

He's to go back every 3 weeks at mo for bloods. I'm on it though. She wants to see him face to face, I make sure the receptionist is told that. If left to him, he'd just roll over...

Have hope. A diagnosis abd some treatment is better than the pain. I believe it is a long road, but they know the steroids work. X

Thanks CrispyChick and hope your Dad continues to improve.  I went out this morning and bought a wheat filled neck thing but I got it home, unwrapped it and it is very short so that will be going back!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 04:18:28 PM »

My dog had steroids and ate me out of every cupboard in the house  ;D

Let us know how you get on, both.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »

Yesterday my husband had been to a customer who told him she put on loads of weight and her face filled up like a balloon when she went on steroids. I honestly don’t think this is going to be an option for me!  I am hoping the results come back as negative for polymyalgia and I won’t need steroids.

Why do Doctors say “come back and see me within a couple of days of your results” then you can’t get to see them for weeks?   The best they can offer me is with another guy next Thursday and he is not quite qualified as when I saw him a few months ago he had to have another doctor sitting in with him.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 10:22:11 AM »

Could you ring your surgery and ask the GP to ring you at home?  Regardless of the result?  My hubby's X-ray result came back 'no further action required': no one phoned him nor did anyone ask whether he was still in pain !! he had to wait nearly 3 weeks to speak to our GP.

The swelling etc. lasts whilst the steroids are doing their work.  Mum's reactions went down fairly quickly once she stopped the steroid treatment and the condition went away.

CrispyChick

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 01:21:47 PM »

Honestly, my dad has no weight gain or bloating so far.

Please stop worrying about the steroids. If it is that and they get rid of the pain, it might work out well. Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 02:08:48 PM »

It probably depends on which steroids prescribed.  Better have the treatment than the pain?  And aren't we all wearing masks anyway ? ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »

One of my friends delayed starting treatment for the same reason but after three months could no longer drive or do even basic tasks. She then started the steroids and her symptoms improved very quickly. It is a long term treatment but the alternative of not getting treatment means that everyday life can be difficult.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 04:11:46 PM »

I can't remember how long Mum required treatment, I think she was monitored by the amount of pain and possibly blood tests.  The sooner treatment starts I would think the sooner the inflammation comes under control.
Pages: [1] 2 3