Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Peri-menopause and UTI's  (Read 1765 times)

sophiajane11

• First Flush
Peri-menopause and UTI's
« on: December 29, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas !

Does anyone know if its common to be more susceptible to UTI's or even just a feeling of lower abdomen pain, urgency to wee and not much wee when you do get there?! I am not showing infections (accordingly to path lab) but suffering a lot lately with these symptoms and wonder if it could be connected to the peri-m ? any thoughts/experience would be most appreciated.

Haydo

Re: Peri-menopause and UTI's
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »

Hello sophiajane11.   Welcome to the forum.  UTIs, and the feeling of having a UTI when you haven’t, are classic signs of vaginal atrophy, also known as GSM.  It is due to diminishing oestrogen.   You need to get some oestrogen pessaries/cream from your GP to deal with this, and it is something which should be used for life.  Catch it sooner rather than later, as if left it will just get worse and worse.  Take it from someone who knows!  Have a look at the various threads relating to vaginal atrophy on the forum which are really helpful and informative. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:14:20 PM »

Hi sophiajane. I agree with Haydo. This is what happened to me too. Vagifem pessaries sorted the problem out 14 years ago now and I still use them each week. As has been said you will need to use it for life. Let us know how you get on.

Taz  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »

Can't add anything much other than suggest that you read the 'bladder issues', 'vaginal atrophy' threads as well as "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" on the Forum.  Make notes  ;)

:welcomemm:

If you have a nip when the urine flow stops, mayB take pain relief - I find Nurofen 3 times a day helps when the spincter shuts off.  Get some appropriate treatment ASAP.

sophiajane11

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 07:42:17 PM »

Hello sophiajane11.   Welcome to the forum.  UTIs, and the feeling of having a UTI when you haven’t, are classic signs of vaginal atrophy, also known as GSM.  It is due to diminishing oestrogen.   You need to get some oestrogen pessaries/cream from your GP to deal with this, and it is something which should be used for life.  Catch it sooner rather than later, as if left it will just get worse and worse.  Take it from someone who knows!  Have a look at the various threads relating to vaginal atrophy on the forum which are really helpful and informative.

Thank you SO much, this is fantastic

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »

Let us know how you get on.  U should be able to ring your surgery and request appropriate Vaginal Atrophy treatment without an exam..  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there!