Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Starting Utrogestan 100mg  (Read 1344 times)

Carrie

Starting Utrogestan 100mg
« on: April 26, 2023, 06:19:47 AM »

Hi all. I am 54 and on estrodot mcg 50 and more a coil for 18months. Recently I’ve gained about 10lb I have really tender breasts mini hot flushes and severe bloating and poor sleep. I went to a GP menopause clinic yesterday and felt heard!!
I had my bloods taken for all 3 hormones and being sent for a pelvic scan.
The Doc feels that I need more progesterone than the coil is giving me and may need to switch to the gel estrogen as maybe I’m not absorbing via the patch.
She prescribed the Utrogestan and I decided to have in vaginally as I’ve had bad migraines in the past. I’m wondering should I take it orally?? 
What are your opinions?
Also will it make me gain more weight and how will it help with the bloat and sore boobs?
I just want to feel like me again and look like me. The weight gain is really effecting me emotionally as I’ve always been able to shift it before.

Perinowpost

Re: Starting Utrogestan 100mg
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 06:30:41 AM »

Hi Carrie

Meno is a real challenge isn’t it! I sympathise with the weight gain as I feel exactly the same when I put it on. I’ve got to say utrogestan on top of the mirena does not sound like a good solution to me. I’m glad you felt heard but wonder if that practitioner actually knows what they’re doing. It seems like progesterone overload to me and why you’d need extra prog when you’ve got the mirena I don’t know. It can only lead to extra weight gain. I gained about 9lbs when I had the mirena (despite barely eating anything), and I swell up every time I take utrogestan. It quickly drops off once I stop taking it.

I think trying the gel is a good suggestion though, because as your endometrium is protected by the mirena you can always experiment with increasing the gel if you need to.

Finally just to say you could try the new regime but ditch the extra prog (utrogestan) if you feel it’s too much as you have plenty of protection re the mirena. Let us know how you get on x
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 09:02:52 AM by Perinowpost »

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 07:53:29 AM »

Hi a Mirena lasts for 4 years for hrt so you shouldn’t need extra progesterone and extra progesterone might not suit you.

Instead of changing to gel you could increase your patch to 75 or 100. It might not be the case that you’re not absorbing. It’s probably that you need more oestrogen.

Carrie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 05:58:19 AM »

Hi ladies so the doctor rang and my bloods indicate my progesterone was ‘in my boots’ low since then the bloating has gone but my boobs still sore tender. I’m still waiting on the testosterone results so we will see