Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy in peri  (Read 1104 times)

jorainbow

Hysteroscopy in peri
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »

Hi anyone out there had a hysteroscopy for longer than usual periods? I'm due one a week on Monday having had an internal scan showing thicker lining (period arrived 2 days later) Up to July periods regular, maybe shorter,  then a couple of months of 2 weeks then a break, a bit of spotting, then a break etc. Not heavy light to normal. Not on HRT or birth control. I have 2 small fibroids but have had them a while and they haven't grown since last scan. I did probably incorrectly assume that bleeding in peri did get a bit weird for some ladies so I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't a tad anxious!

Moonflower

Re: Hysteroscopy in peri
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 08:17:08 AM »

Hi Jorainbow,

I've never had a hysteroscopy but I do know that periods do get erratic during peri and can be heavy and more frequent than normal etc.  Perhaps the thickness went back to normal after you had that period but I guess they have to go ahead with the hysteroscopy as at the time of the scan it showed it was thicker than the norm.

Best of luck!

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:22:19 AM »

Thanks Moonflower! Yes I agree though not looking forward to it it's better to get it done.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »

Hi jorainbow

As Moonflower suggested re the womb thickness. It is absolutely normal for this to increase over the course of the menstrual cycle, and then thin down as it is shed - this is how our fertility cycle works! Just before your period it will have been at its thickest - though perhaps the thickness was outside normal limits of this waxing and waning in thickness?

Whatever the cause is - the fact that you are being investigated due to heavy bleeding is excellent! Most likely as Moonflower says it could just be normal peri-menopause (I can't remember how old you are and where in the menopause journey you are - hpw regular your periods are etc?).

The most likely explanation is anovulatory cycles which occur increasingly in perimenopause so the lining continues to build up but without progesterone and then is shed - leading to much heavier periods - there is an article here which explains it better than I can: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Often (from what I've read on here) women are not investigated due to peri-menopausal bleeding which can very occasionally result in cases of endometrial hyperplasia (which can lead to cancer) being missed. I am ansolutely not saying this is anythibng for you to worry about - just as I said abiove - very good that in your area this is being checked out ( in the same way that any post=menopausal bleeding after 12 months bleed free is checked out - almost always nothing untoward is found).

So relax and be confident that the medics have got things covered where you're based.

Depending on your age and if it become too much - there are birth control pills containing estradiol, (like HRT) that are more gentle than the synthetic type - and these can control the bleeding as you transition towards menopause.

Hope this helps and keep us updated :)

Hurdity x

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 08:59:30 AM »

Hi Hurdity and thank you for the info. I've had polycystic ovaries since I was young so have had irregular or absent periods on and off for years so I'm not surprised they are going a bit haywire!!! Im 52, regular periods (for me) and some peri symptoms mainly low mood around my period start and migraine type headaches at the same time. The periods aren't heavy at all  in fact most days I use a liner only, just prolonged.

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »

Hi jorainbow - I've had a lot of 'investigations' and 2 polyp removals. Both in peri and post meno, please rest assured that abnormal episodes of bleeding are really standard in peri and you have a great gp, although I think it's normal protocol to refer for hysteroscopy when bleeding is causing the patient concern, so again, it sounds fairly routine.

If peri and polycystic ovaries continue to cause bleeding that is stopping you from living your life, there are meds that can help, although I'm sure you already know that since having to deal with it for so long.

Pain relief in the form of paracetamol and ibuprofen is a good idea about 45 mins before the hysteroscopy, I found it uncomfortable but not unbearable. I was advised by a friend to 'go to a happy place' in my head - ie. anything that makes you feel happy and relaxed and zoned out during the process, deep, slow breathing and focus on breathing and not the people in the room helps too, and always remember, you are in control, tell them to stop if you're not comfortable, but tbh, it's over pretty quickly.

Hope that helps.

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »

Thanks Polly! I'm planning on taking my headphones 😊 I had a cystoscopy a couple of years back and watched it on screen though maybe not for this one! The only thing it impacts on is in respect of my new relationship otherwise it wasn't really concerning me til now!   Thanks for the tips I'm sure the anticipation will as always be much worse than the actual event.

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »

Thanks Polly! I'm planning on taking my headphones 😊 I had a cystoscopy a couple of years back and watched it on screen though maybe not for this one! The only thing it impacts on is in respect of my new relationship otherwise it wasn't really concerning me til now!   Thanks for the tips I'm sure the anticipation will as always be much worse than the actual event.

You're spot on, the anticipation is much more agonising!

Good luck and I hope it's all routine and the new relationship doesn't suffer too much.

jorainbow

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »

Thankfully he's amazing and patient!!!

Thank you xx

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »

He's a keeper!

jorainbow

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »

Update!

Didn't have the full hysteroscopy done as the scan report didn't show anything other than they couldn't measure the lining I.e. inconclusive. Fibroids OK.  When I told him I wasn't on hrt (I told the gp three times I wasn't but they didn't pass that on)  and had a period 2 days after the scan he said it didn't need doing.  They are going to re scan in 6 weeks    they did try to take a biopsy but said it wasn't a problem as I couldn't do it. If I need one after the next scan it will be a general anaesthetic.