Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Natural sleep aids  (Read 4485 times)

Sleepy123

Natural sleep aids
« on: November 02, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »

I have tried various HRT options, patches, gels, sprays, but I have accepted they aren’t really for me so I am trying the natural route!

The main issue for me is waking up at 5am every day, which isn’t helpful as I work shifts.

Can anyone recommend natural sleep aids?

I think I might be intolerant to soya so that’s not really an option.

The lack of quality sleep is really starting to make me feel quite drained  :-\

Haydo

Re: Natural sleep aids
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:56:52 PM »

What helps me to sleep is a mug of chamomile tea in the early evening, after my meal, then a mug of valerian tea an hour before bedtime.  I also use Bach Rescue night flower essences sometimes. 

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »

Hi Sleepy123 - it depends on what you consider natural but one of the best things I've found is melatonin. It's the hormone we naturally produce to induce sleep and which seems to get in a flux during meno with all the adrenaline that seems to pump out. You can buy it online and always start with the lowest dose, 1 or 2mg per night. The other thing I've found really useful is progesterone cream, I use 10-20mg per night and sleep like a baby.

Sleepy123

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »

Thank you ladies. That’s interesting to know.

I did wonder if it had anything to do with progesterone. I have a Mirena coil fitted but I believe the amount of progesterone released is quite small?

I’ve heard someone else mention melatonin so that might have to be next on my list!

VictoryV

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 03:12:46 AM »

I’ve taken low dose Melatonin with good results.
Solgar do a sleep tincture which isn’t available in the U.K. but over the counter in Europe. It’s good.
Blue Lotus Extract - I’ve yet to try.
L-Theanine makes me sleepy.
Hops.
Magnolia Bark, a friend swears by this.
corydalis extract, this is a natural pain reliever too. Same friend has good results with this.
Kava -worked. It’s commonly used for anxiety and must not be taken with other anxiety meds. I didn’t have anxiety when I took it but I slept well.
CBD bud, no THC. Inhaled not smoked.
Oleamide - a company rang wanting to make a natural sleep remedy with this as it’s active ingredient. I’ve not had time to research it. It sounds chemical opposed to natural. I don’t know how widely it’s used but Nature’s Best, Holland & Barrett etc. will know more.

I think research is key and buying from reputable experts essential. Natural alternatives are often described as non-habit forming which I don’t agree with. I think any ‘sleep helper’ is habit forming and potentially will stop working if used often.
It’s best to check for cross tolerances and to discuss with your GP before trying any.

Victoria (3am, not cracked the insomnia tonight  ;D )

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 11:45:15 PM »

I have tried various HRT options, patches, gels, sprays, but I have accepted they aren’t really for me so I am trying the natural route!

The main issue for me is waking up at 5am every day, which isn’t helpful as I work shifts.

Can anyone recommend natural sleep aids?

I think I might be intolerant to soya so that’s not really an option.

The lack of quality sleep is really starting to make me feel quite drained  :-\
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would say ashwagandha KSM 66 took a few weeks, can't remember how many, but helped me get more than 4hrs.
I stayed on well over a year, naughty, should cycle off, just got off 6 days ago.
Valerian is good also, again, takes a few weeks and you need breaks, I go on for 6 weeks and off for two, am off it now, as I take 5htp and was told valerian cant be taken with that due to serotonin syndrome risk, don't know much about that, as I haven't got round to researching it.
You could spend ages researching supplements and their interactions, but yes, ash and valerian.
L-tyrosine made me drowsy too, at first.