Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Saving towards retirement  (Read 1351 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Saving towards retirement
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »

I think I started a similar thread years ago but can't find it  ::)

Have any of U put down your incomings and outgoings recently?  DH did this 12 years ago then we had a Financial Advisor go through the paper work, we were able to retire.  We don't use the vehicles as often as we travel most places together because we have similar interests.

We buy as much as we can in bulk, i.e. dried fruits, nuts, loo rolls, kitchen rolls and 'kleenex' man size.  Underwear in bulk from the same outlet.  To save time and fuel we shop in our village apart from the muesli/porridge oats that they don't sell as well as pizzas.  Usually the fruits and veg. are fine if basic.  They do a good mix of frozen veg too.

I don't use half as much washing powder as suggested on the box! therefore I don't need a conditioner as the laundry gets well rinsed and isn't sticky.  Same with the dishwasher, 'jif', hand wash and squeeze.  I also turn up the bottles and drain to get the bit out of the bottom (that's the trouble with Marmite, some always sticks!)  ::). I also tip the laundry boxes into a bowl, it's surprising how much is left between the 2 layers of cardboard! 

We don't go out 2 eat unless on a day trip or when on holiday.  I've never been a 'shoe person' and as I'm the same size as Mum, I can use the shoes that she no longer requires.  I'm good on clothing too  :whist:

Pennyfarthing

Re: Saving towards retirement
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »

I think my housekeeping is pretty good and I was brought up not to waste anything and cook from scratch. our veg peelings go to a neighbour for chickens.  all glass jars go to a friend who makes chutneys and marmalades for charity.  Clothes all go to clothes banks and charity shops and tatty T shirts and worn pillowcases etc are used in the workshop. 

There are things I won’t scrimp on like heating (miserable if cold), good shoes and nice clothes and we do like having meals out sometimes but never posh or expensive so that won’t change either.

I had enough of penny pinching and making ends meet when my kids were small so now I have some money I am going to have what I like when I like.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »

Had to wait so long for our state pensions, living off work pensions and DH supplementary earnings, that we had to be careful. Now we have our state pensions, we feel more comfortable. Going to see our son in the USA would not be such a stretch. If only………..! Fingers crossed for next year.

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »

8 November the US is opening up Ju Ju

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »

Not happy about air travel yet. Had the Astra Zeneca vaccine, so not sure if they are being snotty nosed about that still. Very political.

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »

I read that they will allow AZ vaccinated people in.  We are looking to book for early next year, by which time we should have had our booster.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »

Not happy about air travel yet. Had the Astra Zeneca vaccine, so not sure if they are being snotty nosed about that still. Very political.
If you have the booster,  it will be Pfizer.