Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Dry hair - I look like I've been dragged through the proverbial!  (Read 2247 times)

Jasmine20

I saw a photo of myself today. Gawd, it was a reminder that I have now turned into the classic middle-aged frump with crazy hair!

I've had highlights done twice this year and my hair is naturally curly but it has got dry and frizzy despite me slathering on conditioner.

What do you use to keep your hair looking vaguely decent?

I was considering Olaplex but I'm not sure it's worth the money.....

Haydo

Re: Dry hair - I look like I've been dragged through the proverbial!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »

I have naturally curly, prone to frizz hair too.  I give it a coconut oil treatment once a week or so.  Rub in warmed between the hands coconut oil, wrap my head in cling film and a towel and leave it for at least an hour, then shampoo.  I use Healthspan Replenish shampoo.   I sometimes put coconut oil on dry hair to calm it down, if it’s wayward and frizzy, and to give it shine. 

Jasmine20

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 10:33:54 PM »

Thank you jaypo and Haydo!

Great suggestions and from the looks of it a lot more affordable than Olaplex.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 06:32:43 AM »

It's due to colouring over the years ................ as well as being out in the sunshine.  A good scalp massage is comforting and may stimulate the follicles.  Using as soft a shampoo as possible, don't bother with conditioner and cut out the chemicals in the colourants.  I have seen 2 women this week who have obviously been colouring for many years: 1 in her 30s.  She's going to regret that!  Obvious ?? - due to their hair not being their 'natural' colours. 

Check your diet too.  We feed our follicles from the inside out ;-).  I use 'Johnsons' baby shampoo - some types I have been OK with over the years, no longer suit. 

Jasmine20

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »

Thanks CKLD.

I've only highlighted my hair in the last few years but that's coincided with the menopause and all the dryness that has caused all over my body. I did go to an organic salon but it was pricy so ended up with a high street chain and I think my hair got drier with the harsher dyes.

Nobody warns you that by your 50s your body needs so much maintenance!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 06:31:40 PM »

;D ...... perhaps we should begin looking at older women from the age of 30?  ;-).  Any1 remember ladies in their 50s/60s with blue hair  :o

Maybe heat some olive oil and apply to the split ends?  Wrap in a towel so it doesn't drip.  Rest for 10 mins..  Rinse with tepid water and towel dry gently. Get rid of the hair dryer which is likely to cause dryness especially from the lower third. 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 07:07:42 PM »

My hair has been really dry since being menopausal. I use moroccon oil which is expensive but a bottle lasts me nearly a year. I had my long thick hair cut into a pixie cut and stopped dying it and now my hair is in much better condition, though I miss the colour!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »

Would warmed olive oil rubbed into the scalp be of use?  Obviously not hot or it would cook  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »

Nope.  Would be very sticky indeed  ;D

Reminds me of the chip pan at school which was allowed to cool, it would then be reheated for each class 2 use  :-\. YUK!

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »

My hair is thick, fine and extremely ruly. I win when I tie it back. Shame the punk style has gone out of fashion! I would love to have my hair really short, but my hair would go up rather than down. Oil makes it look lank and greasy.

Jasmine20

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 04:55:45 PM »

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I've just bought an Olaplex trial set so I'll tell you how I get on and if it's worth the dosh.

Lyncola

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 08:59:54 AM »

I have naturally curly hair, try living in Queensland, Australia with high humidity. It’s more like a frizzy mess. Even when it’s straightened, within a couple of hours it’s starts getting frizzy.

I use a leave in conditioner and Tigi Curly hair cream. My best day is the second day after washing. Then it slowly gets bigger with frizz.

Sally S

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 06:30:39 PM »

I have been using the Olaplex
conditioner and yes it is so expensive for the amount you get, but I have noticed my hair has stopped coming out as much. It’s a bonding system and so should make hair stronger and less likely to break off. Hope it worked for you.