Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: After a gallbladder operation  (Read 1620 times)

Minusminnie

After a gallbladder operation
« on: October 15, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »

C
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:53:05 AM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: After a gallbladder operation
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »

At this stage I would ask for a referral to the Surgeon who did the operation.  Trouble these days patients are 'referred back to GP' often without a follow-up with the Consultant which used to happen the following week, then every 3 months then 6 ....... a high % of people get rushed back into A&E within 2 weeks of surgery! which is due to being discharged far too soon.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »

I would have thought that any effects from any medications would have gone after 10 months  :-\.  How often was he ringing to check on her progress?  It's an operation I dread  :-X :'(

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »

There is a percentage of people who find their diarrhoea carries on longer than usual after gallbladder removal. This is called Bile Acid Diarrhoea (BAD). This site gives information on this and the treatments which may help https://www.bad-uk.org/types-and-classification  I had a friend who developed this after surgery for his pancreatic cancer which is where I found out about BAD.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:48:31 PM »

I was told that the operation should make any change to bowel habit. I was constipated before and after. If having diarrhoea is not normal for you daughter, then it should be investigated as she may have picked up an infection.

CLKD, mine was day surgery and I recovered very quickly and was delighted to be free of horrendous pain attacks. I’ve had no obvious side effects. So no need to dread if you need the op.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »

:thankyou: Girls

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »

Interesting. I’ve was offered that several years ago and refused as I thought the doctor was insinuating IBS was down to depression (so many poor experiences years ago with doctors attitudes to IBS) I thought I was being fobbed off. It wasn’t explained why it would help. I have found doctors more understanding in recent years even if they can’t help.