Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Valium well tolerated at a small dose? And tapering off.  (Read 1742 times)

loonarider

Valium well tolerated at a small dose? And tapering off.
« on: September 23, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »

Hi all,

I've been feeling super suicidal lately overwhelmed and at a loss as to how to cope.

I haven't done well with many of the SSRI's tried in the past. Diazepam aka valium has been mentioned. And it sounds great anecdotally, people who have been in dark places have had their moods lifted almost instantly.

I need this now. My life is really hard to bare and I want to feel a little normal again so I can do even normal tasks.

Anyone using or have used diazepam? Wouldn't a small dose mean weaning off it wouldn't be as difficult?

I asked my doc about it and they said if I suffer from breathing issues related to anxiety, it'll make it much worse and "NOT to take it".

Seems valium gets a really bad name.

Now I'm feeling at a loss - not sure what to do next. It feeling any effects from hrt (lenzetto and utrogestan) yet as early days.

VictoryV

Re: Valium well tolerated at a small dose? And tapering off.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:36:17 AM »

I’m not a medical expert, I’ve done years of volunteering for various addiction services. The rebound anxiety can be horrific with benzodiazepines. The worst withdrawals I’ve ever seen are with this class of medication. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
I have several medications for chronic insomnia, none are benzodiazepines.
I’ve never heard anybody say that weaning off/tapering from benzodiazepines is easy. I’ve heard many heroin addicts say coming off injected heroin and crack is easier.

Yes they have their uses but the addiction profile is very, very high.

Please reach out to every service/support you can find to get help.

Victoria.xx

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »

I’m not a medical expert, I’ve done years of volunteering for various addiction services. The rebound anxiety can be horrific with benzodiazepines. The worst withdrawals I’ve ever seen are with this class of medication. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
I have several medications for chronic insomnia, none are benzodiazepines.
I’ve never heard anybody say that weaning off/tapering from benzodiazepines is easy. I’ve heard many heroin addicts say coming off injected heroin and crack is easier.

Yes they have their uses but the addiction profile is very, very high.

Please reach out to every service/support you can find to get help.

Victoria.xx

Thank you Victoria

That was informative and I guess I dodged a bullet there.

Any suggestions/alternatives I can mention to my doctor? I'll be arranging a phone appointment today.

Thanks again x

VictoryV

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 01:54:35 PM »

Hi Loonarider, I don’t know much about most medications as I only see people trying to come off them. Other’s on here will know more than me so hopefully someone will reply.

What’s your GP like? Does he/she listen?

Good look with the apt.xx

getting_old

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:08:48 PM »

A relative was given valium some years ago for anxiety, and they have been unable to stop taking it. Their doctor has told them it is better to continue taking it for the rest of their life as the withdrawal is so horrific, and they said that even missing a dose once was horrendous.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »

However: I took Valium as necessary 4 many years.  It saved my Life.  A good GP will monitor a patient weekly.  I took 5mg the night B4 an event that I was unable to get out of attending, knowing that I could take 3 more the next day.  I never required them.  It is designed for specific treatments i.e. emergency use in more recent years.

In the 1940s onwards various 'valium'-type were given without the realisation of the addictive problems.  Bounce back reactions are well known and can be problematic.

I did take 9 weeks to withdraw from an AD - can't remember which - each time the dose dropped I would go into panic mode: What if I have to go back because I can't cope: however; once I realised that it was the same feeling each time and that it didn't become worse and more importantly within 24 hours those feelings eased completely, I became more relaxed .  My GP saw me weekly.

It is at this point in time not to look too far forwards.  If U require 'valium' then speak to your GP about being monitored which will give you support in two ways.  I think that 2mg is the lowest and 10 the highest but your GP will know what is required and how often.  When do U think that you would require it the most?

Nix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »

Hello
I wouldn’t recommend it as it doesn’t take long to build up a tolerance and withdrawal from Valium is hell, it’s worse than Heroin. It’s OK short term, like a few days, maybe a week maximum but over that and your body will begin to become dependent.

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »

I think these messages are a bit at cross purposes. I think CKLD is saying she used it for occasional use rather than 3 times a day for weeks at a time. That indeed would become addictive once you have got two or three weeks under your belt. But having it in the house for occasional use is a different thing altogether, you just have to be sensible with it. It's also very useful when first starting an AD as it takes the edge off start up side effects. I have some in my drawer, I don't need them but knowing they are there in case of emergency is very reassuring.

VictoryV

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 02:44:54 AM »

I agree Gnatty, it’s a pity that the tolerance builds rapidly as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of options for immediate anxiety relief. I’m toying with throwing my insomnia meds out as I’ve stopped taking them but knowing they are there does give a feeling of security.
I’ve had good results with certain CBD products but wasted a lot of money on crap ones In the beginning. I’m going to try the Bach’s products that I’ve read about on here, has anybody hadmuch luck with those?

Loonarider, how did the GP apt go, helpful?

Victoria.x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »

Tnx Gnatty.  It is important that the sufferer gets instant relief from crippling anxiety.  I wouldn't be here without 'valium'!  Under a train I would have been  :'( along with my dog  :'(

I had various doses for various times in the 1st month.  Can't remember now, which has to be good?  My GP saw me weekly initially and once anxiety was less and I began to gain control, treatment was sorted to a manageable level.

A GP must see face2face a patient with anxiety.  In 2015 I literally crawled to our surgery in desperation, no appt. but the Locum GP took 1 look and we had a long supportive chat.  As necessary pill given ........

Don't try to go it alone if you are suicidal.  There is help at your local surgery or walk-in MIND charity.  I sent an e-mail to our local group and although I didn't need to attend, the support was enormous.

Let us know how you get on. 

Suzysheep

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »

My dr has given me diazepam to use when I absolutely need it. Over the past few weeks I’ve used it a few times, never for days in a row, and only 2mg. It’s been a godsend on really difficult days, as I’ve been struggling big time.
Like others have said, it actually helps more to know I’ve got it there if needed. As long as you’re not using it every day, I personally think it’s a good tool for occasional use. Like CLKD…. I probably wouldn’t be here without it as a safety net. X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 06:13:31 PM »

When working full time; as well as having family issues to sort which were unavoidable; knowing that 'valium' was available and that my GP gave total support, helped a lot.