Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Random consultant appointment - freaking out  (Read 1138 times)

Lesley66

Random consultant appointment - freaking out
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:16:49 PM »

Hi all

I had some post meno spotting a few weeks back. Scan revealed a thickened  endometrial lining 7mm. Practice nurse diagnosed me with VA at smear 2 weeks back (awaiting results) Hysteroscopy is this Friday at 10.

I've just come home from work to find a consultant appointment card through the door for next Tuesday 28th at 3. As I haven't even yet had the hysteroscopy I'm really confused as to what it's for? Mind is in overdrive and I'm catastrophising as always.

Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar. too late to ring the hospital and ask and I'd really like some sleep tonight. Any advice appreciated.

L

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Random consultant appointment - freaking out
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »

Ring the Dept in the morning.  There should be phone number on the referral.

What were you given for the vaginal atrophy?  Treatment started ASAP will make any dryness etc. in the vagina , U shouldn't need to wait for the results of the smear.   Was the Nurse patrituclarly bothered about 7mm? 

Lesley66

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »

Was given sylk for the atrophy. Spotted during smear and practice nurse said that the brush had irritated vaginal walls and caused abrasion, bleeding was not from cervix or womb at the time - she said it was obvious things were painful down there and used a small speculum. Asked whether I had spotted after sex.... That's been so painful that it's not happened for an age 😂. Freddy Krueger springs to mind.....

She said that 7mm obviously needed investigating and that I was in the right hands but it could be any number of things, but that the VA was a possibility for the spotting, and also scolded me for not having approached anyone earlier despite my discomfort. I just wish I had an explanation for the additional appointment. The only circumstance I can think of is that they're not scheduling a chat after the hysteroscopy so it needs to be done another time. I hope that's all it is.

Lesley66

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »

Sorry CLKD I didn't thank you for replying earlier, that was rude x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »

It's OK!  Do ring the Dept tomorrow and let us know.

Your Nurse seems on the ball too - hang on2 that one  ;)

You need dedicated VA treatment internally - some have 'vagifem' with 'ovestin' or 'sylc' around the labia.  We have 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads here, do read.  Make notes ;-)

Lesley66

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 07:07:00 PM »

Aw she is lovely.

I've been through the bladder issues. That ended up with a camera episode .... Obviously they found nothing. Reading  around I'd found out it could be related to Meno but my GP wasn't having any of that 😂.

I'll ring the department on the morning and ask what the situation with the appointment is.

I'm definitely thinking I need some topical help down below. I should have asked for it years back. I wish my practice nurse had been in post back then. She's a recent appointment.

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »

Do ask the Dept if it's OK for you 2 begin atrophy treatment.  If it is OK then ring your Surgery and ask for either 'ovestin' or 'vagifem'.  The sooner you begin treating the vagina, the happier she will be ;-).  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there, fortunately my GP recognised symptoms and after 3 weeks, the vaginal area and more importantly, that 'need2P' feeling went. 

Lesley66

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 08:36:38 AM »

Hi CLKD, have just rang hospital. The appointment was a duplicate made in error, so mystery solved. So now back to the one appointment for hysteroscopy tomorrow. Wish me luck x

Lesley66

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »

Just to complete for anyone reading.

Home from hysteroscopy. Small polyp removed. Uncomfortable but over quickly without the need for a GA. 3 weeks of turmoil over. Having a well earned vino and it's miles before 5 o'clock. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »

Tnx 4 the update  :foryou:

How long until you get any results?   Vino well earned   :medal:  get those feet up in the sunshine?

Lesley66

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »

15th Oct. Doc says she is confident all will be ok

Down at our caravan in Wales. Glorious sunshine. Lovely wine. Hope you and yours have a great weekend and thanks for all your kind words xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »

Ohhhh Wales  ;D. The house that we sold in 1983 is on the market again - priced far too highly 4 what it is!

Enjoy! 

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »

Glad to hear that all went well with the hysteroscopy Lesley.

Taz x  :)

Lesley66

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 03:44:59 AM »

Glad to hear that all went well with the hysteroscopy Lesley.

Taz x  :)

Thankyou Taz xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »

R U less freaked this morning?