Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HRT + Antidepressant  (Read 4698 times)

warwick01

HRT + Antidepressant
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:43:50 PM »

Hi

Just wondering how many ladies are taking a antidepressant along with HRT?? I have been struggling for quite a while with Mental issues associated with post menopause. For me the scariest issues have been a type of OCD dominated by intrusive thoughts. My GP has convinced me to try Mirtazapine AD. Currently I am taking half tablet 7.5 with the intension of increasing to 15mg. But like most on here don't like taking medication.

I have no quality of life at the moment, have increased Oestrogel from 3 to 4 pumps with Utrogestion every 6 weeks. Would like to hear from anyone who finds using HRT and Ad has helped. i am 62 and post menopause.

Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT + Antidepressant
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »

If you are struggling, what's to lose?  I fought against ADs but lost several years .......

If it settles your intrusive thought patterns, that has to help?  Give it 6-8 months then review?  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary, which helps to chart progress etc..

:foryou:

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 01:22:17 PM »

CLKD

Always good to hear from you  ;) I have a work book to start documenting. To be honest at 62 thought I was over it - obviously not. I tried reducing my HRT but unfortunately developed more symptoms like insomnia, low mood joint pain that makes me feel 90.... I'm at the point I will take anything to help get my life back.

Wx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »

Remember that nothing needs 2 B for ever  ;) but Quality of Life is important.  62 is young  ;)  8) a time when we can take Life by the horns and go 4 it !!! unless we feel poorly.  It can take so many hours trying to sort medication that eases symptoms enough 2 4get them 4 a few hours!

My friend began 'Mirtazpane' 3 years ago and hasn't looked back: another with 'sertraline', feeling so much better.  The latter doesn't have menopause issues, simply fed up with work hassle .........

Lamplighter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »

Hi warwick01, I'm 65, have been on Oestrogel pumps and continuous Utro since the beginning of April (after a looooong time mucking about trying to find an HRT regime that helped) and not long after decided to put myself on Paroxetine (having had it several years before and swore by its efficacy).

Initially I had horrendous side effects, only lasted two days before I stopped and the side effects disappeared immediately.  Tried Escitalopram (at a lower dose) but had the same side effects with additional ones thrown in so chucked that in after a few days too.  Light bulb went on and (being quite adept at self medicating  ::) ) I decided to restart the Paroxetine on a really low dose (cutting tablets in half etc) and gradually weaned myself up - still had side effects but they were manageable and after about four weeks they diminished to almost nothing.  Went to the full dose but found that was just a bit too much so am now sitting quite comfortably on three quarters (15mg - which still involves cutting tablets up but it's worth it).

For a while it made me feel really good - it was quite amazing - positive, hopeful, optimistic, full of energy almost bouncing off the walls - sadly that has calmed right down but I still feel a zillion times better - the lows aren't anywhere near as low and the anxiety is more like general concern rather than the fear flashes I was experiencing.  Generally I'm feeling, for want of a better word, 'normal'. 

For what it's worth, I am taking it because the last time I used it, it was for overwhelmingly intrusive fearful (but totally baseless) thoughts and while it's actually sped my thinking up the fear flashes have diminshed substantially.  As CLKD says, what do you have to lose?  Just be aware that after you've been on these SSRIs for any length of time and you want to come off, it pays to taper off really slowly to avoid the sometimes awful withdrawal side effects you can get.  Mirtazapine isn't specifically an SSRI and may have fewer side effects etc - loads of guff on the internet about it, have a trawl  :)

Good luck xx

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »

Hi Lamplighter

Thanks for replying, your post is vert interesting. My GP gave me 15mg and was annoyed when I told her I had cut them in half to start with. I know my body and had bad experiences with SSRI. I seem to be ok, side effects have reduced. Will move on to full 15mg in 2 weeks as we are having a 5 day break.

I had a conplete melt down just over 2 weeks ago, crying for someone to help me as the intrusive thoughts were so frightening, remember having these post natal.

How much Oestrogel are you using??

Wx

Mum of 2

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 07:37:50 PM »

Hi
I have also just started Mirtazapine because I can’t cope anymore. Ifthis doesn’t help then I don’t know what I’m going to do.
Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

Lamplighter

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 09:08:07 PM »

Hi again w, sorry to hear about the meltdown. As you mention experiencing something similar post natally, I wonder if it isn't hormone related?  Do you think it might be more to do with the HRT side of things?  Although having said that, ADs can help regardless.

I hope the Mirtazapine you are taking is helping somewhat at least.  Also hope your doctor doesn't get too titty about your deciding how much or how little to take - sounds like you know what you are doing and it is your body!

As for me, I was using four pumps daily but this week had to negotiate with consultant down to three in order to get the ok to use Vagifem five days a week (and she can go hang, there's enough in a month's supply for six days a week so that's what I'm using   :P )  To be honest, I don't really notice the difference between three or four pumps and probably could even go back to two at some point, but what I do know is that I wouldn't be without it - the HRT is a lifesaver in so many different ways.

Oh and I'm using 100mg Utro daily vaginally (after having read on here that it's the same pill as you take orally) and while I'm not zonking out so much at night I am much less fatigued the next day.

I'd say right now that I'm relatively stable on most fronts, which is nice - amazing the amount of time you can spend researching ways and means to feel better  ::)

I do hope you find a good balance yourself, and best of luck with upping your dose xxx

Mum of 2 - good luck to you too xx

warwick01

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 08:08:14 AM »

Thanks everyone, your replies really help.

Mum of 2 how long have you been on Mirt ?? and are you taking 15mg along with HRT ??

like you really hoping it works and I can enjoy life again.

Wx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »

Did U get any support warwick01 for the PND?  What was suggested?   You may like to browse the National Society for Pre-menstrual Syndrome (NAPS) - there may be come hints there about managing hormonal upheaval.  PMS happens prior to the bleed, 10-14 days B4 and symptoms ease one the period begins. 

Waking every morning feeling awful is, awful  :-\.  I remember it well. 

How is your diet overall? 

warwick01

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »

Hi CLKD

I have taken your advice re diet - thank you

I was only 18 when I suffered in silence with PND never had any help or support from family and was terrified they would take my baby away. It did settle once I got on the right Pill. I suffered a couple of years.

Thanks again Wx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »

:'(.  how awful.   :bighug:

Mum of 2

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 10:49:59 PM »

Hi Warwick01
Yes I am on 15mg and HRT. Feel really bad at the moment but hopping.
Have been taking it for 1 week, HRT for 3 weeks.
Hope all goes well for you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:51:50 PM by Mum of 2 »

Gnatty

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:08:35 AM »

Hi Mum of 2. I have been taking Mirtazapine 15mg for 7 weeks now and feeling so much better. Keep going, I think you might notice a bit of improvement over the next week and any drowsiness will start to wear off. As you perhaps know, most improvements are seen between weeks 4 and 6. And I can report that happened to me. Is it helping you sleep?

warwick01

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 08:59:19 AM »

Hi Mum of 2

The first week was the worse and i only started on half but was zonked and dizzy. it will lift so keep going.

Wx
Pages: [1] 2 3