Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Livial and hair loss  (Read 37532 times)

Carol

Livial and hair loss
« on: September 07, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »

I am 55 years old and a year ago I asked for HRT because I was very moody and tired. I have tried activelle and it had no affect on me and also femostan conti. I was then put on Livial and although I felt good on it 3 weeks in and I noticed a lot of hair coming out in the shower. This was very distressing because I have never experienced this before. My hair was my pride and joy, blonde and curly ! I went to the doctor and she said her gut instinct was that it wasn't the Livial and to persevere for two more weeks. More hair fell out so I stopped taking it two weeks ago. My doctor advised stopping it for at least a month.I am going to have bloods done to check vitamin B and magnesium and then I will make an appointment to see the doctor. She mentioned utrogestan and a oestrogen gel before and I'm wondering if I should try it ? I am too scared to take Livial again, I have read it has androgenic affects and I wonder if this caused the hair loss. I don't want to stop HRT altogether because it helps with moods etc and also I don't want to dry up and wrinkle and shrivel either ! Also, I did have covid back in May and I was quite ill with it. I wondered if that could be a factor too in the hair loss. Either way it has made me scared of Livial....the hair loss has eased a bit and I am taking hair supplements and I also heard folic acid was good for hair too. Any advice appreciated because when I look on about various HRT I read contradictions and don't know what to believe !

Carol

Re: Livial and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I had bloods taken yesterday and the nurse took extra so she could ask my doctor today if she needed to test for anything other than vitamin b and magnesium. I emailed them this morning and asked them to test for ferritin and vitamin d. Thanks for that advice. I felt great on the Livial so I am mad that this has happened ! It's difficult to know if it was the cause but like I said before I am too scared to risk taking it again in case it is that. I have read that it can increase free circulating testosterone so this might have increased the levels of DHT to increase also ( I sound like I know what I'm talking about ! I bet doctors and vets rue the day everyone could look on google ! ) Anyway it seems to me that the hair loss has slowed down a bit but like you pointed out it takes such a long time to grow back. I had also wondered if covid had had a hand in it, it could be a combination of things. I will also have a look in to regaine, my blood pressure is normal at the moment so hopefully it might be an option. Anyway, it was very kind of you to reply. This is the first time I have ever used a forum. x

cristina

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 12:40:31 PM »

Hi . I hope you ended up sorting out your HL. I know you were totally right about the androgenic side effects of Livial. Im so sorry you had to go through that. Are you OK now?

Sophya

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 02:06:27 PM »

I am 55 years old and a year ago I asked for HRT because I was very moody and tired. I have tried activelle and it had no affect on me and also femostan conti. I was then put on Livial and although I felt good on it 3 weeks in and I noticed a lot of hair coming out in the shower. This was very distressing because I have never experienced this before. My hair was my pride and joy, blonde and curly ! I went to the doctor and she said her gut instinct was that it wasn't the Livial and to persevere for two more weeks. More hair fell out so I stopped taking it two weeks ago. My doctor advised stopping it for at least a month.I am going to have bloods done to check vitamin B and magnesium and then I will make an appointment to see the doctor. She mentioned utrogestan and a oestrogen gel before and I'm wondering if I should try it ? I am too scared to take Livial again, I have read it has androgenic affects and I wonder if this caused the hair loss. I don't want to stop HRT altogether because it helps with moods etc and also I don't want to dry up and wrinkle and shrivel either ! Also, I did have covid back in May and I was quite ill with it. I wondered if that could be a factor too in the hair loss. Either way it has made me scared of Livial....the hair loss has eased a bit and I am taking hair supplements and I also heard folic acid was good for hair too. Any advice appreciated because when I look on about various HRT I read contradictions and don't know what to believe !

Hair loss can indeed be a side effect of certain medications, including some forms of HRT. It's important to trust your instincts and advocate for your health. If you're feeling uncomfortable with a particular medication, it's crucial to communicate this to your doctor and explore alternative options.