Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has anyone successfully got rid of palpitations with hrt?  (Read 2122 times)

Caroline77

Has anyone successfully got rid of palpitations with hrt?
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »

Hi all, I am I believe peri-meno and the cardiologist agrees. I attempted to use Qlaira but had an awful reaction to it with extreme anxiety to the point i thought i was having some sort of psychotic break. I am due to speak to my doctor later today and don't know what I should be asking for... I have read so much and am really confused! Has anyone ever successfully got rid of palpitations with hrt? Otherwise am I just better off taking beta blockers (which im not a big fan of). Any experience advice welcome...
thank you

Dotty

Re: Has anyone successfully got rid of palpitations with hrt?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »

Hi yes, hrt stopped my palpitations. x

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »

It stopped mine also. I believe palpitations are a symptom of low oestrogen x

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »

Why would oestrogen trigger palpitations, though? 🤔

VictoryV

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 11:24:08 AM »

I suppose it’s a reaction to less oestrogen than the body is used to getting. Do palpitations and anxiety go hand in hand? I haven’t had palpitations….yet.  ???
Glad to read HRT can help.

Gladys

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

Hello my name is Gladys

Caroline77

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »

For those who it helped can you tell me which hrt you used? thank you, I am relieved to know it is possible I didnt want to go down that path if it wouldnt make a difference!

VictoryV

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 03:24:50 PM »

Hi Caroline and welcome.
I use the Oestrogel because it’s more flexible. I’ve not tried anything else but hear the patch and spray are more convenient. I take 200mg Utrogestan (progesterone) on days 15 to 26 to protect my uterus.

Like you I’m so glad that we’ve got choices.

Good luck.

Victoria ☀️

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »

I use Evorel and my palpitations stopped really quickly. They've returned on the two occasions I've had to stop using it.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

EllaAurora

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »

Hi all, I am I believe peri-meno and the cardiologist agrees. I attempted to use Qlaira but had an awful reaction to it with extreme anxiety to the point i thought i was having some sort of psychotic break. I am due to speak to my doctor later today and don't know what I should be asking for... I have read so much and am really confused! Has anyone ever successfully got rid of palpitations with hrt? Otherwise am I just better off taking beta blockers (which im not a big fan of). Any experience advice welcome...
thank you

Hi Caroline77 and welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. Would you be able to share more about your symptoms during the anxiety attack? Did you experience it at the same time as palpitations, or was the heart issue separate?

I used to suffer from palpitations/heart arrhythmias and for me it got worse with overall progressing of menopause. I had really severe symptoms earlier this year, at the same time with a lot of other symptoms which I've concluded were all due to lack of oestrogen.
I'm using Estrogel and the palpitations actually disappeared quite quickly after I was able to increase the dose. Nowadays I can still have an occasional extra beat or a moment of faster heart rate, but its 10x better than a few months ago -thanks to HRT!
Hope you'll find a good solution too! Let us know how you get on. xxx

Terri

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 04:30:58 PM »

Hi Caroline

Heart palpitations and anxiety were / are my worse peri - symptoms. They generally go hand in hand, but one can have one without the other - hope that makes sense.  These symptoms came out of the blue 6 months ago, I was prescribed beta blockers which did help, whilst trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I've since learned these are classic peri / menopause symptoms. Always best to get checked of course, and whilst scary, often harmless.

I started on the gel and gradually built up to 3 pumps, but the palpitations were still daily, even when the anxiety was low or when I didn't feel anxious. I got really freaked out by that but the GP didn't seem bothered given the number of ECG's which came back normal. I also felt I was getting a surge of hormones every time I applied it (jittery / dizzy etc), but as it was the first prescription I had nothing to compare it with and it quickly sorted the night sweats / joint pains / carpel tunnel. 

I moved to the patches early September after my symptoms returned suddenly on the gel (new packaging debacle). I was at the 3 month mark anyway. Almost immediately I felt calmer, palpitations and anxiety significantly reduced by day 2. Thought it might be a coincidence but it continued getting better.  I started on Evorel 75 (3 pumps equiv) and increased to the 100 patch 2 weeks ago due to the insomnia / night sweats / palpitations creeping in (my traffic light signal for low O). It has made such a difference and the palpitations went within hours of the increase. I still have the odd crashing days (yesterday was one) with the odd heart flutters and jitters but all very manageable now. It helps knowing what's causing it too - my own fluctuations mainly.  There are more good days than bad now. I never thought I'd be saying that even 3 months ago.  My body prefers the slower consistent release of estrogen you get from a patch. If I'd know it reduced the palpitations like it did I would have switched sooner. 

I would not rule out beta blockers if / when I get one of those days when the hormones are having a merry dance. I can put up with most of my long list of symptoms, but anxiety and palpitations I do struggle to cope with.

hope that helps
Terri.

Wombat

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »

This post is exactly the question I was going to ask. The palpitations are the worst of my symptoms and I really needed to read the reassurance that HRT helps. I’m not yet 3 months in on a very low does of HRT, so not felt much better yet, but good to know it might happen in due course. Skipped beats and racing heart in the middle of the night are so scary!