Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 627643 times)

Louise2010

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #660 on: April 01, 2022, 09:46:11 AM »

In answer to the thread’s question “how do you cope?” I’d have to say - I don’t 🤣 I never had any problem falling or staying asleep till my late 40s when I hit peri and then I’d wake up in the night suddenly as if a loud noise had woken me up. For months I thought it was my neighbours kids 🤣 until other symptoms like night sweats began. HRT gave me my life back until fast forward to this year and a hysterectomy (needed due to a womb the size of a small melon and 16 week pregnancy thanks to fibroids) has me waking at 3ish am Every. Single.
Night.
 It’s quite honestly made me feel completely beaten and a shadow of my former self as I cannot function & I’ve had to give up work. Now on Mirtazapine and even that doesn’t work just has me stumbling around unsteadily during the day like I’ve had too many G&Ts 🤣 I’ve literally lost the will now. I’d have a frontal lobotomy if I thought it would allow me to sleep through the night.😵‍💫

Hopeful

« Reply #661 on: April 01, 2022, 10:40:41 AM »

hi Louise
I really know how you feel as I have had a year of awful sleep, why is 3am the magic number :-\. my sleep is improving now I am back on HRT and getting the dose better, on oestrogel, utro and just started testosterone.
one thing that helps is to realise that you won't die from lack of sleep and to try not to stress too much about it ( easier said than done I know) there is a website called insomnia coach which has some useful information and videos, also  look up ACT for insomnia. One thing I found that made it worse was all the sleep hygiene hints and tips!!
some people take magnesium which can help, I think it's magnesium citrate.

really hope you find some respite soon, it really is the pits!!!

hopeful

Louise2010

« Reply #662 on: April 01, 2022, 03:47:42 PM »

Thanks Hopeful and I’m glad to hear things have improved for you. I can’t tell you how you ladies on here have helped me in these dark days ❤️
Yes I’ve literally been there bought the T-shirt with the sleep hygiene 🤣 and when I listen to a podcast like today and hey say “ and of course you must make sure you’re getting a good nights sleep for other areas of your health to fall into place.” I’m shouting at my phone I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤬
I’m speaking to my gp again Wednesday so I pray I will get some help. I was v against taking sleeping tablets but it’s getting to the stage where my mental health is being severely affected so I’m open to taking them at least short term.

staticgirl

« Reply #663 on: April 05, 2022, 02:57:01 PM »

It was a really bad bout of insomnia that finally got me off my arse. I have always slept badly, my theory is I never learned properly how to sleep through the night when I was a kid.

However, the hot flushes deffo made it worse and I had a really bad episode. After that I called up the doctor and pretty much told him to give me HRT. He must have heard desperation in my voice as he agreed immediately. So I started that and then at the same time I got an email from a charity I sometimes get help from. They were offering free places on a CBTi course (it does cost money unfortunately but I understand that some people get referred to it for free by their doctor too).  I leapt at the chance.  Over the last 8 weeks I have reset my body clock and pretty much learned how to sleep and I have been unlearning some of the myths. I think the HRT has really helped too as I have reduced the number of night sweats.

I am still working towards getting the magic 7 hours (with the help of the sleep coach) but the quality of my sleep is a lot better.

I think a double pronged approach like that works because even if it is a physical symptom causing the sleeping problem I got so highly anxious that my mind/emotions needed some work too.

Louise2010

« Reply #664 on: April 10, 2022, 04:31:13 PM »

So glad you’re winning staticgirl. It sounds like the CBT was fantastic for you. I am on the Talking Therapy’s list and have an appointment at some stage. I will ask my doctor about CBT.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with Melatonin recently?
If yes was it prescribed by your Gp ? If it wasn’t,  where did you get it from?
I’ve heard a slow release melatonin is better.
Not even zopiclone or magnesium glycinate is keeping me asleep. I feel absolutely hollowed out. I think my family are ready to put me out to pasture they are so fed up with the zombie that’s replaced me. 😫

N786@123

• First Flush
« Reply #665 on: April 12, 2022, 06:16:52 AM »

since being on the hrt patches, the first thing I noticed was the quality of my sleep.  I feel thus has helped me. It is still early days and it could be mind over matter as it has been just over a week.

Songbird

« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2022, 07:53:25 AM »

N786@123,
Quality of sleep, for me, improved after about a week of using the patches.  I’m 3 weeks in and it is still really good.  The only thing I am experiencing is vivid dreams - was chased down the road by a giant tomato the other night (might have something to do with me eating bruschetta for supper  ;D :o). I can cope with that (as long as I get a good amount of sleep)..   :peace:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 08:18:42 AM by Songbird »

staticgirl

« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »

I dreamed I was applying for University in Galway last night. I am not Irish or of Uni age. It was extremely detailed.

I really like most of my dreams when I am sleeping well. I have adventures. I miss them when I am suffering insomnia.
I was ill last week and I still managed to sleep okay so the combination of HRT and CBTi is really helping.

Gnatty

« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »

It sounds like CBT can really help with insomnia which is great news as not sleeping is so debilitating and colours everything else. I wonder whether there are on line courses that could be followed whilst waiting for referrals? Might be worth a look, Louise? X

Louise2010

« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2022, 05:16:42 PM »

Thanks Gnatty I think it’s definitely worth a go. And I’m sure it’s a great help to mental health in general and re framing things which is tough to do when you’re on you’re last sleep deprived legs  ;D
My dreams are so crazy at the moment. I’ve had ex boyfriends turn up, Robbie Williams & Angela Merkel and I’m usually doing something with them like canoeing or rock climbing, two things I don’t do in real life ;D At least it gives me a laugh the next day.
I have recently tried melatonin gummies and they do knock me out to the point I’m only vaguely aware of waking up which is am improvement to the pounding heart previously. Do feel a bit groggy the next day but I’m putting that down to lack of real deep restorative sleep. I’m sure I’ll get back there eventually but till then I’ll enjoy the wacky dreams  ;D

Hopeful

« Reply #670 on: April 19, 2022, 09:19:55 PM »

There is a special CBT for sleep called CBTi (I being for insomnia) take a look at the website insomnia coach which has lots of resources and a free email help short course.

Louise2010

« Reply #671 on: April 23, 2022, 09:11:47 AM »

Thank you Hopeful that’s really useful xx

dibradley

« Reply #672 on: November 18, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »

Dear Susie,
How are u now with your sleep? What has helped you?

Songbird

« Reply #673 on: November 18, 2022, 02:22:05 PM »

I had a dreadful time getting off to sleep and staying asleep before starting HRT but there is no doubt that, for me, 100mg utrogestan taken orally at bedtime gets me off to sleep (and I have a good 8hrs sleep each night now). I do wonder, however, what it is in the utrogestan that causes vivid dreams because I have these each night  :o - I’ll put up with that though  ::)

Hugsneed1958

« Reply #674 on: March 05, 2023, 11:15:01 PM »

I am struggling sleep too.my mind won't switch off or husband snoring or V.A. tummy cramps or ibs
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46