Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Levothyoxine  (Read 1227 times)

Wannabewell

Oestrogel and Levothyoxine
« on: June 22, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »

Should I be applying Oestrogel at the same time as taking my levothyoxine?

I thought I’d be okay to apply at the same time as it’s not being ingested?

I take levothyoxine at 8.00am, then apply Oestrogel. I’ll be taking Utrogestan at around 11pm.

Thanks.

Wrensong

Re: Oestrogel and Levothyoxine
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »

Yes, in theory should be fine to apply Oestrogel around same time as taking your oral thyroxine dose  :), though I think I remember another member, Blue Kingfisher, posting about timing of gel application in relation to her thyroid meds.  Are you asking because you  suspect the gel is affecting your thyroid stability? 

Transdermal oestrogen is said not to increase need for thyroxine but some of us have found we need to adjust our thyroid meds slightly even with transdermal HRT, though from memory those members (like me) were on T4-T3 combi treatment which does seem to complicate matters!
Wx
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:41:17 AM by Wrensong »

Wannabewell

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »

Hi Wrensong,

Thanks so much for replying, I m getting really stressed about this because my husband has seen (somewhere) that if you start HRT (oestrogen particularly) it can affect how much of the  levothyoxine is available in body, therefore meaning that I may need more levothyoxine?

It’s so confusing.

I’m feeling anxious enough already (my hormones at this time of month) and this isn’t helping.

xx

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »

Please try not to worry about it  :hug: though I know that's easier said than done at this unnerving stage of our lives.  The interaction is said to occur only with oral oestrogen, which as your husband has read can increase our need for thyroxine.  The mechanism is that the oestrogen increases something called Thyroid Binding Globulin (usually abbreviated to TBG) which yes, can mean that there is effectively less thyroid hormone available for use in the body.  Many hypothyroid women use HRT & find with transdermal regimens that their thyroid levels remain stable & research studies bear this out.  But just a few of us on here on transdermal HRT have found we also need to tweak our thyroid replacement slightly when starting/increasing/reducing our HRT & my (very senior) Endocrinologist has confirmed it does happen.

It's usually recommended to have a TFT 6 weeks or so after starting HRT & again at 3 months, but your GP may not think this necessary on transdermal.  Personally, I would ask for it to put your mind at rest.  It should be easy to adjust your thyroid dose with your doctor's guidance if need be, but chances are you won't need to. :)
Wx
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 03:01:19 PM by Wrensong »

Wannabewell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply, I feel so much better for reading that. 

I spoke with my GP and he said I don’t need a thyroid check at 3 months as it’s not usual practice. If I get symptoms he’ll check bloods but otherwise I’ll have my HRT review in 3 months time.

I’m happy enough with that as I just want to be able to focus on the HRT for now, see how it goes.

Fingers crossed the Utrogestan part suits me.

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it  :hug:

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »

It's a pleasure.  Good luck with the HRT, there's every chance you'll feel much better for it.  Keep posting to let us know how you are & so we can help with any questions. :)  This time of our lives can be so unsettling & isolating, I think we all understand that & just want to do what we can, sharing experience so that we can learn from & support each other.
Wx

Wannabewell

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »

So kind, thank you very much  :)

I will keep updating here on the forum, it’s so nice to have a place to learn from others and offer support too.

Just knowing that someone else believes and understands makes a big difference.

Thanks, I’m really hoping the HRT suits me.

W xx