Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oral allergy syndrome. Anyone else got this?  (Read 2973 times)

CrispyChick

Oral allergy syndrome. Anyone else got this?
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:44:12 PM »

I was diagnosed a good few years ago. It doesn't particularly bother me. But I've just eaten some fresh peas from the pod... Big mistake. Throat and lips feel totally off the scale...should calm down soon. I hope.

I take strong antihistamines every day, so I'm quite surprised by the severity of this reaction.

I'm all honestly, I'd take this any day over all the hormonal stuff. But just wondering if there are others out there andcwgat are your triggers??

I'm bad with melon, pineapple, persimmon and kiwi. Prob some others that I cavt think of. Lol. But this peas is new... 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oral allergy syndrome. Anyone else got this?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »

Change your toothpaste?  Anything with SLS can trigger it.  4 me it's bananas or chocolate even though I use 'sensodyne' paste.  There's nowt in peas  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:58:35 PM »

Hi CrispyChick. Pea allergy is becoming more common I believe. Do you have an EpiPen just in case?  I'm ok with peas but not soya which I think is the same family. As well as the tingle I also have diarrhoea with it though. Tingles from strawberries and apricots and cooked apple. Also a mild rash on my arms

What happens when you eat bananas or chocolate CLKD?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »

My mouth burns instantly.  Begins in the lower jaw behind the bottom teeth and spreads in both directions - it can last for 20-40 mins., sometimes I sit with gob wide open  :o  :-\

It would break my heart if I couldn't eat peas straight from the pods !

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »

I always thought you were a chocolate girl!  ;D

Taz x

CrispyChick

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »

Omg... I'm glad it's peas and not chocolate for me 🤣🤣🤣.

Any of these things are fine cooked. Usually have frozen them boiled peas - no prob.

No. No epi pen. I've never had an anaphalactic. My sister has one as she has peanut allergy (and has had anaphalactic episodes).

They did tell me to avoid my triggers as they may turn more severe. But that's a lot of fruit I'd have to avoid. So I'm not good at avoiding 🤷‍♀️.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 06:47:40 PM »

It's not all the while 4 me, fortunately.

Chocolate croissants can start it at breakfast.  MayB too soon after cleaning the teeth?

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:51 PM »

I used to have lots of allergic reactions, which would change year to year. Apples , all exotic fruits. That horrid tingling feeling and swelling of lips, mouth and throat. The last time I ate a kiwi fruit, the reaction was more serious. The swelling of my breathing tubes became quite severe and I was on my own. I hovered by the phone in order to ring for help as it felt my breathing was being restricted, when I felt things relaxing. Took a long time to feel better. I read up on kiwi fruits and discovered that they are a common allergen. It also said that if you have a reaction as severe as I had that it could be far more serious next time. Never eaten one since! Easy to avoid though. My allergic reactions have lessened as I have grown older.

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »

Interesting Juju. Unfortunately I'm finding mine getting worse as I get older.

Hey ho. I'd still rather deal with that than hormones 🤣

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »

With the onset of menopause I went through severe food intolerances, mainly gluten. Just a small amount inadvertently ingested would trigger a reaction immediately, so very easy to identify. Other foods not so easy to identify. Gluten free flour triggered a milder reaction, which was a pain. However, post menopause, reactions have lessened. Mildly unpleasant, enough to avoid offending foods. I suspect very much hormone related. Does this give you hope? Reactions started in my 40s, now in my 60s.

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 08:07:52 AM »

Ah. That's interesting. I am in my mid 40s. Like I say, of rather deal with the good issues than my other hormonal symptoms 🙄 but yes, hopefully once I transition through all things might settle down a bit.

The pea reaction did eventually calm down. I realise this morning I forgot to take my antihistamine yesterday - so may have been a factor.

Although things seem to be getting worse, I've had a lot of allergies all my life.  It is good to hear yours have calmed down a bit 👍

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 08:14:55 AM »

Wikipedia:

Nutritional value

Legumes are a significant source of protein, dietary fiber, carbohydrates and dietary minerals; for example, a 100 gram serving of cooked chickpeas contains 18 percent of the Daily Value (DV) for protein, 30 percent DV for dietary fiber, 43 percent DV for folate and 52 percent DV for manganese.[12]

Legumes are also an excellent source of resistant starch which is broken down by bacteria in the large intestine to produce short-chain fatty acids (such as butyrate) used by intestinal cells for food energy.[13]

Preliminary studies in humans include the potential for regular consumption of legumes in a plant-based diet to reduce the prevalence or risk of developing metabolic syndrome.[14] There is evidence that a portion of pulses (roughly one cup daily) in a diet may help lower blood pressure and reduce LDL cholesterol levels, though there is a concern about the quality of the supporting data.[15][16] Further studies have suggested that high legume consumption is associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality.[17]

Jellyb

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »

I have a reaction to raw eggs, so a rich chocolate mousse or carbonara, where the eggs are barely cooked.  My throat starts to tickle/itch and my lips swell up with little lumps on.  I usually have a glass of water handy a swig that, it's never got bad enough to need anything else.
I can eat mayo though. 
I do also have an allergy to feathers, they can bring on my asthma.  I can eat chicken though!  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »

As long as you don’t eat your chicken unplucked!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 09:50:11 AM »

I know two people who can't bear chicken anywhere near them - due to a phobia about feathers.  I know someone else who can't have butter on the table ......... turns their stomachs.  Not quite the same, but .......

Would it be the protein in the peas?
Pages: [1] 2