Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Throat ulcers  (Read 2194 times)

Smokey

Throat ulcers
« on: June 01, 2021, 11:06:13 AM »

Hi ladies

I’m really suffering at the moment. Where to begin ok I have ms and have since 2010: I consider it quite mild, my main symptom is the dreaded fatigue in varying degrees, i normally manage quite well by pacing myself however since beings of lock down I keep getting throat ulcers they used to be once every so many months or so they resembled the ones you get with tonsillitis Doctors said. Just viril, so no antibiotics now I seem to feel ill beforehand then it arrives and still feel bad then it goes and feel ok for two days then it starts all over again. The trouble is it makes my ms fatigue 10 times worse.

The last doc appointment telephone consultation it was suggested I gargle with Corsodyl mouth wash it worked for a while but then stopped .

I know it’s an infection of some type as my fatigue is always worse. And gland comes up.

I’ve had b12 checked and iron they are all ok as a dentist suggested this could be a reason.

I’m on coil no 2 and am also having period pains but seem to start off after emptying my bowels in the morning I don’t thing this is due to new coil as I starting having this problem beforehand and just thought it was because it needed changing as it was five years old. No bleeding thankfully,

I’m also back on lanspronal for indigestion I can’t seem to eat much when off it.

Anyone else had any of these problems.?

Many thanks

Smokey (Ann)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Throat ulcers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »

Could you be low on Zinc?   Mouth ulcers are a sign of the body being 'down' ......  Your GP should at least take a throat swab to see if anything is 'growing' which would aggravate the ulcers.

If your GP ain't helpful, mayB ring your Dentist?  Boiled, salted water cooled is what mine suggests following dental work, swilled round, held then spat out. 

How long have you been swallowing Lanspronal, could it be the coating that is aggravating the tender mouth lining?

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »

Smokey - when I've had bad problems with ulcers in the mouth and throat I've been given Difflam oral rinse. I was initially given it by my GP on prescription but subsequently it has been available over the counter. It really does help.

Smokey

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »

Hi

Thanks Ladies

CLKD I do have some Zinc in one of my supplements so not sure if it could be that but I’ll keep it in mind. Lanspronal maybe but would have to stop to find out will have to speak to my Gp.

I have however found out that several fruits could be responsible and also Sodium Laurel Sulfate does cause them in some people it’s in most toothpastes as well as shampoos and conditioner.

Strongkat. Yes I looked up Difflam and it looks useful but I believe it can only be used short term.

The strange thing is they don’t actually hurt sometimes a bit of a sore throat but that’s all but I do feel like I have an infection and am taking paracetamol and once worn off usually after about five hours I start to feel rough again.

I am trying to get Dr appt this week if I can as this last ulcer has been their since last Tuesday so basically a week.

I’ll let you know what he says if I get through and manage to get a appointment or tele consultation.

Smokey (Ann)

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »

Hello Smokey.

I have found that Sensodyne toothpaste is SLS free as is  Tresemme shampoo and conditioner.

If you are looking at zinc to help your immune system it may be worth asking your GP to test your vitamin D levels.

I hope you get the treatment you need and please let us know how you get on.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »

In the meantime, how R U treating the ulcers, has there been improvement? 

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »

Hi ladies

I have only just managed to get through to my Gp this morning after trying since Monday morning and am awaiting a call back..

Thanks Kathleen for the infor on sensodyne toothpaste and that Treseme shampoo and conditioner both being free of Sls free I may have to change if I don’t get these ulcers resolvered. I am on 4000 of vit d and zin is also in one of my supplements so I doubt I’m under in either of them.

CLKD I have tried throughout the year :  gargling wit salt water, corsodyl mouth wash, throat strepsils,
Strepsil spray,

I was interrupted whilst writing this by the Gp and he is sending me a prescription for a month wash called something liked Dixoxin to try for two weeks and if that doesn’t work will have to think again.
I really hope this does the trick as I’m fed up with feeling constantly Ill

I will let you know how I get on.

Smokey (Ann).

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 12:13:39 PM »

"think again" - is that the GP planning on waiting for any results, good or bad, from using the mouth wash or he is in the meantime, going to make an appt. 4 U 2 B seen somewhere ?  Ear Nose Throat or Dermatoligist ?  springs to mind.

MayB on Friday ring and ask the question so that you aren't waiting 2 long for an appt., which if made, can be cancelled - it's about getting into the system. 

Have U seen a dentist recently?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »

Do U have allergic rhinitis?  I am constantly scratching the back of my mouth/roof with my tongue, right at the back I have an ulcer  :-\ which responds to 'bonjela'.