Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and insomnia  (Read 7224 times)

luckylc123

• First Flush
Anxiety and insomnia
« on: May 29, 2021, 06:31:39 AM »

I have been peri for around 2-3 years, I’m 46. My periods are every 3 weeks now and much more painful with less blood. The worst part is experiencing insomnia and anxiety for the last 2 years and i have tried tumeric, magnesium and ashwagandha. I don’t particularly want to go to the doctors as i can’t take antidepressants and for me hrt is a last resort. Any suggestions what else i can take to help? I feel like giving up my job as I’m starting to hate everyone for 2 weeks a month! Sometimes i feel like I’m having a nervous breakdown 😰😰

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »

HRT.  ;)

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress as well as something to discuss with the GP or Practice Nurse.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Anti-anxiety medication can really help until an HRT regime is sorted.  It is different to anti-depressant medication.  My GP gave me betablockas in 2002 to ease any early morning anxiety surges.  I have an emergency tablet because anxiety floors me to the point of suicide.  I haven't required 1 for 2 years  8).

What do you take for the painful periods?   I suffered for years++ and found Feminax helped, other pain relief didn't make any difference.  Until I went on the Pill the pain was awful.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 12:11:04 PM »

I can sympathise, my worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia and it's so debilitating. They have both gone with hrt though it did take 3 months. Why is hrt a last resort? Any particular concerns we can help with? It's just replacing the hormones we should be producing ourselves but no longer do and certainly more appropriate than ADs.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:38:13 PM »

H R[placement] T - many forget the replacement word  ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 12:08:15 AM »

I have been peri for around 2-3 years, I’m 46. My periods are every 3 weeks now and much more painful with less blood. The worst part is experiencing insomnia and anxiety for the last 2 years and i have tried tumeric, magnesium and ashwagandha. I don’t particularly want to go to the doctors as i can’t take antidepressants and for me hrt is a last resort. Any suggestions what else i can take to help? I feel like giving up my job as I’m starting to hate everyone for 2 weeks a month! Sometimes i feel like I’m having a nervous breakdown 😰😰
I hope by now you are better.
I found that ashwagandha helped, it took a few weeks (can't remember how many) to kick in but it was worth it.
Magnesium is great for releasing tension in muscles.
AD's to me are a waste of time, too many side effects, and they didn't work. - Personal choice though.
That sounds scary, 5-htp and L-tyrosine together, 1:10 ratio respectively, ie, for every 50mg 5htp take 500mg l-tyrosine, I often take more.
I fear nervous breakdown, I dunno if the fear is worse than the experience, I have non meno stressors which feel overwhelming. I like to think that things are not as bad as I fear.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:10:12 AM by Dandelion »

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 07:07:28 PM »

I am a 52 year old woman that has been dealing with menopause for the last 3 years.

My symptoms are:
Hot flushes
Lack of sleep
Severe mood swings

I have recently been diagnosed with insomnia getting about 2 hour of sleep (at best) per night.

I have have tried HRT and different sleeping medication this worked temporarily but I had to come off it.

Recently I have been using CBD oil for my arthritis and sleep issues and I found this to be really helpful. No side effects what so ever.

I just thought I would let you know as it really helped me! I hope this helps you out!
Oh dear, what a pain.
I really feel for you, I had those, the psychological sypmptlms are a b1tch, the flushes feel like a heating element was switched on inside our bodies.
I don't know if you want to try HRT, there is info here on this site.
You could look around here.
I use micronised progesterone and oestrogen patch, it does get better, I had to use the strangest patch, 100mcg, I now only need 25mcg, but I did bleed.
I never tried CBD oil.
Doctors don't sometimes seem to know much about HRT, I had hassle trying to get mine.
I promise it does get better.