Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Surgical menopause  (Read 1917 times)

Southern Softie

• First Flush
Surgical menopause
« on: May 25, 2021, 12:46:12 PM »

Hi everybody I'm new to this website.  But am about to go in for hysterectomy tomorrow when they are removing my ovaries and fallopian tubes too.  Which in turn will put me into surgical menopause.  To be honest think I'm more worried about that than surgery itself.  Just was wondering if anyone else been through surgical menopause?  Be few days before I reply all advice gratefully received!! :)

Gnatty

Re: Surgical menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:59:53 PM »

Are you already on HRT? If not this is something to be considered as it will sort out your sudden loss of hormones. I am having my op in three weeks. I am already taking HRT oestrogel, utrogestan and testosterone. I shan't need the utrogestan after the op as that is taken only to protect the womb. But I shall certainly be continuing the other two for ever.
You won't need to worry about any risk factors with the HRT as this arises from the progesterone element which you will not need.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:34:15 PM »

Good luck with the op Southern Softie. Has the importance of HRT after the hysterectomy been discussed with you? It gets me so annoyed that not all consultants give advice on this. Is it imperative that you have ovaries removed? I was given the choice and kept mine but I've no family history of ovarian cancer. I would have liked to keep my cervix too but that wasn't possible due to my prolapse (reason for hyster). As Gnatty says HRT will sort out your missing hormones. You will probably find that any Meno symptoms will make themselves known very quickly as your oestrogen level will plummet straight away. We will all be here to advise should you need it

Gnatty have you been advised to stop HRT before the op? I had to but I know some surgeons will let you stay on it instead of stopping then restarting.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »

Yes good luck Southern Softie, looking forward to catching up with you.

Thank you Taz yes I am allowed to carry on, I assume because all transdermal. But good point, will double check.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:58:16 PM »

I was on transdermal too but had to stop a month before. I think the consultant checked what it said on the patient info leaflet! This is the NICE guideline advice https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summary/sex-hormones.html#:~:text=Major%20surgery%20under%20general%20anaesthesia,restarted%20only%20after%20full%20mobilisation.  I've just checked my Evorel box and it does say to discontinue for a month before but others on here have carried on using it so it must depend on individual surgeons? It's to minimise the blood clot risk but you're given heparin injections anyway so I couldn't understand why I had to stop it.

Taz x
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:05:31 PM by Taz2 »

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »

Yes, I sometimes watch the IGTV videos by harleystreetemporium which I find very informative. They covered surgical menopause and said if transdermal HRT used there was no need to stop prior to surgery. But thank you for flagging, will double check.

Southern Softie

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »

Op went well I had a large pelvis mass and that was reason why I had to have total abdominal hystectomy.  Got home yesterday.  No-one talked to me about HRT before op just said would put me into menopause.  I'm 47 at mo so not far off menopause age.  A doctor working with consultant mentioned HRT to me day after opening and said they would put me on it till I around 51 years.  I asked him about it again next day as have me time to think of questions he dId they need to wait for results of my histology on everything removed before they can prescribe HRT. Said will write with results.  So far so good, just feeling wiped out and bit more emotional but otherwise ok, still very sore from surgery too!
Will keep you posted on my journey.  Thank you so much for responses

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »

Good to hear from you and glad it went well. I hope you don't have to wait too long for histology report. As being on  HRT till 51 that's out of date info as the guidelines are that women can stay on it indefinitely as long as otherwise healthy. More info for you to store in case you need it  :)

Make sure you do exactly as you have been told recovery wise.

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »

Don't lift anything heavier than the TV remote or a spoonful of ice cream   ;)

:foryou:  MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary so that you can chart progress and decide which symptom to ease.  Sadly patients are in and out of hospital and it is remiss of the Consultant NOT to have discussed HRT prior to surgical intervention.  Something that maybe Davina could take up in her next programme ?

My friend had 'enough wind to fly a kite' so don't be surprised  ;)

Southern Softie

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 07:17:13 AM »

Hi ladies.

I stated with the wind pain 2 days after surgery and it was horrendous!! 😮 was started in peppermint oil!!  I was given booklet at my pre-op which was quite informative nothing about HRT mind you.  Exercise to get out of bed, pelvic floor exercises.  But was really surprised. no-one gave me any advice  in hospital  on exercises etc , remember afternoon after my surgery my nurse said I'll see a physio for exercises but I didnt, was kind of left to it, but my fault I should of asked. But then is it normal for people to see physio after total abdominal hysterectomy? But have been good I have my nurse (husband!) helping me but only for one more week.  I definitely agree Taz maybe Davina should cover subject of consultants not discussing HRT beforehand, good but if info regarding age too.  I watched her programme other week very good.

groundhog

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 06:59:22 PM »

Hi Southern Softie,
I had a full hysterectomy 6 years ago.  I remember prior to the op I joined the hysterectomy association which was really helpful and told me what I should be doing at certain points after the surgery, plus advice on HRT as I had my ovaries removed as well.  I had a quick Google to try and give you the link but I couldn’t seem to find it, surely it must still be there somewhere.
I didn’t have a good outcome to my hysterectomy as my bowel perforated .  I didn’t have any advice on anythung but I was seriously ill at the time and not expected to survive.  To this day though no one has mentioned HRT so I’d ask and ask again if I were you.
Good luck !

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 11:48:22 PM »

Hi groundhog. The hysterectomy association was great wasn't it? Sadly the forum/site closed down a while ago. I think I've still got the advice saved somewhere though. Will check tomorrow.

Sorry about the wind pains Southern Softie. After my vaginal hyster I was told not to do any pelvic floor exercises for eight weeks to give the internal tissue time to heal. Not sure whether that's still normal advice though.

Taz x

Valybobs

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »

Hallo Taz2 and groundhog - I am another castaway from the Hysterectomy Association.
Southern Softie - I am sure you are not a softie at all, even with the little physio advice I got at the time etc I got far more online and from the HA forum from folk who've actually been through it.  All the best.

Southern Softie

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »

Hi ladies

Thankyou for all your posts.  Shame about hysterectomy association sounds like would have been a great source.  I am 3 weeks post up Wednesday and things going good I am going out for walks twice a day now (short ones). My main problem is a pulling pain on my left of my scar think from a big sneezing fit on Saturday (hayfever!! ) take antihistamines.  And didn't hold in my sneezes but pain keeps coming and going.  Also I have a hard lump at bottom of my scar did anyone else have this, will it go?  Still no results from histology 🙁 main symptoms I have are hot flushes (more intense than before!) More emotional and my skin is drier.  But symptoms manageable at mo.  Plan to chase hospital if not heard anything by end of this week.  Take care ladies