Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sore tongue  (Read 2701 times)

Patsie

Sore tongue
« on: May 22, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »

I had problems with feeling like there was a lump in the back of my throat and was referred to ENT who told me that it was sticky mucus and there was nothing to worry about.  At the same time I went my tongue had started to feel sore and was told by the ENT that I did not have enough saliva on my tongue.  Fast forward 7 months and I still have a sore tongue.  GP said it could be a side effect of PPI but I stopped them 5 months ago and no difference.  Tried a saliva spray - no difference.  I am also now having problems with my teeth and am not sure this is due to lack of saliva.  Called my dentist and was told that they wud get a dentist to have a word.  Two weeks later I was called back! Was told that if I am not in excruciating  pain then they cud not see me as they are only taking emergencies. 

I am at my wits end and don’t know what to do. 

I did wonder if this was just another post menopause symptom of my body drying out through lack of oestrogen as I suffer from vaginal dryness, my skin is very dry too

Wrensong

Re: Sore tongue
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »

Hi Patsie, if your dryness is generalised, has anyone looked into Sjogren's for you?  The associated lack of saliva can lead to probs with teeth.  Are you on HRT?

Patsie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 09:31:45 PM »

No one has mentioned Sjogren’s I will look into it.  I have never been on HRT.  The GP wants me to have a full blood test to see if anything is amiss but have to wait 2 weeks for that.  I don’t think he has any idea what is causing the sore tongue. 

getting_old

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:02:25 PM »

Do you feel like you actually do have less saliva than you used to? If not then I'd ask to see another ENT or tell the dentist that you're in a lot of pain / discomfort so you can get it checked.

Patsie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 12:23:03 AM »

I don’t feel there is less saliva.  I chew chewing gum as I read this helps and I can feel the saliva but when I stop my tongue feels wrong again.  I am paranoid that it’s something serious and it gets me down. Maybe after blood tests and they are ok the GP will actually look at my tongue instead of just asking if I can see anything. 

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:32:30 AM »

Hi Patsie,
was told by the ENT that I did not have enough saliva on my tongue.
I don’t feel there is less saliva
So although ENT felt you had too little saliva you don't feel that yourself? 
I suffer from vaginal dryness, my skin is very dry too
We do tend to suffer from dryness with the decline in hormones at menopause, so what you're experiencing, though uncomfortable & unnerving, may be no more than that.  I asked about HRT because I wondered whether if you'd tried it, you noticed any change in the dryness.  I'm assuming you still have both ovaries?  Reason for asking is because even postmenopause (as I think you say you are) intact ovaries go on producing a significant amount of testosterone, so that the relative androgen deficiency resulting from removal of ovaries is thought to be associated with some conditions that have dryness as a symptom (such as Sjogren's & Dry Eye Syndrome).  Can I ask are your eyes dry as well?

I think several members have posted that they're trying sea buckthorn for dryness.  If you have a google there seems to be some thought that it may help dry mouth, eyes, vagina etc.  Topical HRT (Vagifem, Estriol cream etc) is very low dose & can really help with the latter if you don't want to try systemic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 10:00:38 AM by Wrensong »

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 12:30:24 PM »

Hello Patsie.

Wrensong has given you some excellent  advice and I agree with gettin_old that perhaps tell your dentist that you are now in pain.
My husband and BIL have both recently had extensive work done at the dentists so it is possible even in these COVID times.

I wonder if your salivary glands are inflammed or your B12 levels are very low? Hopefully your blood test results will provide more information and you can begin treatment.

Wishing you well.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »

Hi again Patsie, Kathleen has made a good point about low B12 being a possibility with a sore tongue.  If no-one has tested your B12 levels it might be sensible to ask your GP about this.
Wx

Patsie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »

Thanks Wrensong.  Will try the sea buckthorn.  Hopefully when I have the blood tests they will test for B12.

CrispyChick

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 05:34:32 PM »

I had a, sore tongue a few years back. My b12 was borderline and since supplementing with a good spray, no more sore tongue...

I should add, I was told my levels were fine. When I asked for my numbers, I was at the bottom of a very large range!

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »

Ooh Patsie, I wouldn't assume that B12 will be included - hopefully yes, but I'd ask if it will if I were you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 11:40:18 AM »

I've added kiwi and blueberries daily and my tongue is red and sore  :'(.  ?? kiwis ?? being too acidic? 

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 08:05:50 AM »

Kiwi fruit do cause reactions in some people CLKD, oral allergy syndrome can be caused by various fruits & kiwi is among them.  I can't eat blueberries because I find they cause usually well managed gastritis to flare.  They are high in salicylates which give some people problems with the digestive tract.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 10:40:42 AM »

Morning.  Tnx for that.  Symptoms are slowly improving.  Now I have to off load the 7 kiwi fruit  ::)