Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bladder issues  (Read 5258 times)

Frannyh

• First Flush
Bladder issues
« on: May 11, 2021, 03:49:48 PM »

Hi
I am new here and am hoping to find someone who has had the same experience as me as I can't seem to find a doctor who can help!  I am peri menopausal and am now on cyclical HRT (was on constant but changed as had some bleeding and had not gone a year without a period) and have just started on Vagifem too.  Started off on gel and then moved to patches with gel top up as wasn't absorbing the gel and developed dreadful anxiety which seems to have thankfully got a bit better.  My main issue is that I need to pee all the time!  I have had my bladder capacity checked and it's all fine, I can hold on for hours but just have a burning feeling in my urethra - like cystitus but never have a positive urine test.  It's driving me nuts!!  I had it for 4 months last year, then it went away for a couple of months and now I've had it again for 6 months. I also have a 5cm simple cyst on one of my ovaries so I have been told by various doctors that it is - the cyst pressing on my bladder or lack of oestrogen but none of them seem sure or be able to get rid of it.  I've had anti biotics for UTI (a week's worth) and bacterial vaginosis (which I didn't have any symptoms for but they told me to try them anyway).  Anyone else have this issue? 

Joaniepat

Re: Bladder issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »

Hi Frannyh, welcome to the Forum!

You say you have just started on Vagifem, so I suggest you give it time to work before  expecting too much in terms of results. It can take a while to feel the benefit. As you have discovered, systemic oestrogen doesn't always do much for symptoms of VA, so the local treatment needs time to catch up!

JP x

Frannyh

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »

Hi JP
Thanks for replying.  Can Vagifem really help that much?! x

Ellie2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 04:40:59 PM »

Hi

I´m so sorry to hear that your are in pain.

I experienced something that seems very similar and wrote about that in a thread about vaginal dryness, but copy it in here for you:

I´m in peri and it was urogenital symptoms that finally made me start HRT.

I had been experiencing frequent trips t the bathroom and getting up at night to pee, but then I got something that could be a UTI but a bit asymptomatic. I was first treated for vaginal infection (that helped because I had that), but after 2 days the urethra burning came back. I then had 3 successive batches of antibiotics that did almost nothing for me. Bacterial growth tests came back negative.

In the meantime I had been reading all about painful bladder syndrome and was starting to slightly panic. But - in all those terrible articles I also saw people mention vaginal dryness and lack of estrogen, so I started Vagifem (OTC in Scandinavia). My GP never mentioned neither dryness or menopause as a possible cause...

After 2 weeks I felt way, way better. The burning sensation diminished and as a pleasant side effect I felt really content and somehow relaxed, and I connected the dots - estrogen!
TMI here, but my vulva changed visually as well and looks healthy (if you understand...)

I went to my gynaechologist and got a prescription for HRT and after 2 weeks on Lenzetto in addition to Vagifem (use it every 3 days now) all my urogenital symptoms are gone. All in all it took 5 weeks. My gyn advised that I could use estrogen cream in addition to relieve dryness, she saw no issues by using all 3 at the same time as long as I tolerated it. In the ned I didn´t need to

I did experience mild discomfort with Vagifem in the very beginning, and I think that was because the area was so dry and sore. I also had some very slight spotting. All that took about 10 days to resolve.

Symptoms that resolved:
- bladder pressure
- burning urethra
- pain sitting down
- thin, dry skin down there
- soreness
- frequent urination
- nocturnal urination

Frannyh

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:57:51 PM »

Hi Ellie
Thanks so much for replying.  I really hope it works as I have had it for literally months - I did try Vagifem before but I didn't stick with it for more than a couple of weeks as I thought it wasn't working and it must be the cyst.  Just one question - I don't have vaginal atrophy, can you have bladder issues that can be resolved with Vagifem if you don't have vaginal atrophy ie can you have bladder atrophy without vaginal atrophy?
Many thanks

Ellie2

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 05:51:30 PM »

Hi Frannyh

To be honest, I didn't know I was drying up down there and hadn't had any issues before.

I did pee quite often, but wrote that down to drinking a lot of water. Getting up to pee; well.. Age, drinking too much before bedtime etc etc. The pain and urogenital symptoms virtually came overnight, like the proverbial cup runneth over.

The last year or so my whole body had kind of dried up. My eyes were dry, my skin dry, my hair dry and my mouth and throat were so dry I woke up coughing and had a sore throat every morning.

Could very well be that I had a UTI as well as dryness and that it exacerbated my symptoms. I also had vaginosis that was treated and gave 2 days relief. But all in all I had burning urethra, bladder pain and pressure for weeks.

My gyn told me that I could use Vagifem daily if I needed and Ovesterin in addition.

Some other things I did that might help you as well was to limit coffee as I found it irritated my urethra. I also spent time on stretching the muscles around the pelvis (I do yoga) and breath work to relieve abdominal pressure. Other than that I now understand that it would not have resolved itself without the addition of estrogen and I really hope you will find relief.
It was en extremely stressful and painful experience and I really feel for you.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 06:05:28 PM »

Hi JP
Thanks for replying.  Can Vagifem really help that much?! x
Yes, it should help quite a bit as there are many oestrogen receptors in the urethra and the trigone area of the bladder. VA can give UTI type symptoms, and as the walls of the bladder and urethra thin, can leave one more vulnerable to UTIs.
JP x

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »

Hi Ellie
Thanks so much for replying.  I really hope it works as I have had it for literally months - I did try Vagifem before but I didn't stick with it for more than a couple of weeks as I thought it wasn't working and it must be the cyst.  Just one question - I don't have vaginal atrophy, can you have bladder issues that can be resolved with Vagifem if you don't have vaginal atrophy ie can you have bladder atrophy without vaginal atrophy?
Many thanks
The proper name for VA is Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause (GSM).
JP x

Frannyh

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »

Thank you both so much - it's so nice to know that there are other women out there going through this, I honestly felt like I was going nuts or had something seriously wrong with me.  This menopause business is no fun at all!

Pookie1959

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 03:03:39 AM »

🇨🇦 Here …I have the same exact symptoms as everyone and its been going on for 4 years now! Been to many doctors and tried many different remedies. I was first given premarin, then vagifem which helped the VA but not the bladder issues and burning feeling. Overtime things got to what I call “my new normal” meaning I can function without crying and constantly thinking of my pain in the bladder. I also started HRT one tablet nightly. After almost 2 years the burning came back 3 months ago with no real reason BAM there it was. Now my doctor has given me external estrogen for vulva and urethera plus increased vagifem to every other night. No relief as of yet thinking of maybe trying a different HRT maybe the Estring or gel, its alot of trial and error thats for sure.  Cannot say enough good things about this group and I hope you all find some relief very soon and that we have better access to the meds we need without needing to beg🤦‍♀️
God Bless

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 07:57:34 AM »

Morning.  Use the 'vagifem' nightly Pookie - if necessary two doses twice a week with a few nights between.  Put the oestrogen on several times in the day to keep the area moist.  It's about plumping up the whole vaginal area.  Let us know how U get on.

Iris67

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »

I've been on Vagifem for a few weeks now and it is definitely helping. I had a mixture of infection (which needed clearing) VA and prolapse. I am gradually unravelling it all - but the Vagifem is definitely making a big difference.

Pookie1959

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 12:59:00 AM »

Thanks CLKD, I am going to try that for sure, was not sure about the external! Going to load that up as well🤦‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »

Bounced for new members

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »

Bounced.
Pages: [1] 2