Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and evorel conti  (Read 4896 times)

Liz72

• First Flush
Vagifem and evorel conti
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:33:41 PM »

Hi, I'm new here. Age 48 postmenopause (last period 4 years ago)
I've been on evorel conti for maybe 3 years and have suffered vaginal dryness for a couple of years nothing major but sex is non existent. 1 because my labido has gone 2. Too much pain. I tried vagifem about a year ago but wasn't given enough to make a difference. This week I asked the doctor to try it again to which she said yes but also said am I ok  with the hrt to which I said yes. Went to pick my prescription up and she had prescribed 12 pessaries, 2 a week then review but no hrt. I phoned to be told by the receptionist (who was lovely)that the doc had said the vagifem is a type of hrt and I cant have both and if I want to take the pessaries how the are meant to be taken 1 a day for the 1st 2 weeks she'll do me another prescription. I've said I'd rather my patches and am now waiting for a reply. Sorry for the long post but am I right in thinking you can do both along side each other? Many thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and evorel conti
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »

WHAT RUBBISH  :bang:

Ring your GP Surgery and tell her that ladies can use HRT as well as appropriate vaginal atrophy treatments.  Refer her to this forum.  If I were closed I would go in and SHOUT VERY LOUDLY!

Such ignorance in this day and age.   Right.  Better now  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:00:29 PM »

Do phone B4 they close this evening, remembering it's weekend.

Then read the threads 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'.  Make notes and suggest to your Practice Manager that the GPs should be up2date with HRT.  I would be sending an e-mail to Dr Currie who began MM too.  It's about time these GPs were named and shamed.

2 a week, what is this GP thinking about!!!!!  VA is treatable but may take weeks B4 symptoms ease.  It mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  1 does not need an exam or blood tests to be given a prescription by a GP who knows what they are about.  The idea is to use the product nightly for 2-3 weeks, then drop to as necessary .... some require 'vagifem' nightly, others can use every 3/4th and 5/6th nights. 

'yes' and/or 'sylc' products can help.  Some ladies use 'ovestin' on the outer labia as well as 'vagifem' internally.  Copy and print this if you like and wave it at your GP?

Liz72

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I've just had a call from the receptionist who has been helping, the doctor will look into it over the weekend because she is unsure if they can be used together! I told the receptionist it's in the N I C E guidelines and the doctor should know this. I also said if the outcome is a no I will be getting in contact with the practice manager. Why are these things so hard  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 04:13:17 PM »

You should not have to wait until after the weekend.  At least thee and me know we are right  ;)  ::)

I would ask for the GP to ring me back this evening, it takes a few moments to access MM and the 'vaginal atrophy ' thread ;-)

U can copy and paste my responses and take to the surgery ;-)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:59:45 PM by CLKD »

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »

Hi, I'm new here. Age 48 postmenopause (last period 4 years ago)
I've been on evorel conti for maybe 3 years and have suffered vaginal dryness for a couple of years nothing major but sex is non existent. 1 because my labido has gone 2. Too much pain. I tried vagifem about a year ago but wasn't given enough to make a difference. This week I asked the doctor to try it again to which she said yes but also said am I ok  with the hrt to which I said yes. Went to pick my prescription up and she had prescribed 12 pessaries, 2 a week then review but no hrt. I phoned to be told by the receptionist (who was lovely)that the doc had said the vagifem is a type of hrt and I cant have both and if I want to take the pessaries how the are meant to be taken 1 a day for the 1st 2 weeks she'll do me another prescription. I've said I'd rather my patches and am now waiting for a reply. Sorry for the long post but am I right in thinking you can do both along side each other? Many thanks.
  Rubbish! I have been on Evorel Conti for nearly 2 years and Vagifem for nearly 3. I find that they serve slightly different roles. When I started patches, my frequency of use if Vagifem reduced a bit but , if  I reduce too much, my night visits to the loo start going up again.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 05:15:52 PM »

I agree with katejo. I've been using both for 10 years. Stands to reason that if you have vaginal dryness despite full HRT then a topical product such as Vagifem used on its own won't be enough. Hope you get a good result from your doctor.

Also with the Vagifem you need to do an initial loading of a pessary each night for two weeks before going on to two or three a week so you need to make sure you are given enough pessaries.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »

It would appear that Liz72 hasn't been given enough! 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »

I was prescribed both by a NHS menopause clinic. However, my GP did query it, as like you say he said it was two types of HRT and was concerned the pharmacy would query it. They did not and have never done so. I think there is a lot of confusion amonst GPs.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »

It's that great "HRT" without thinking what each letter stands for  >:(

Liz72

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. Hopefully by Monday my female doctor will have read up on what can be prescribed together. It's just shocking that there are still so many gp's that are behind with the times.