Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here! Young(ish), perimenopausal and confused....  (Read 1473 times)

kjsm81

New here! Young(ish), perimenopausal and confused....
« on: April 06, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »

I posted in another area of the forum earlier before I spotted this area for new members....oops!

So I’ve recently turned 40, had hormonal issues for years which I always put down to my endometriosis. I had surgery for endo 4 years ago and then more recently have found a combined pill that has worked for all the other symptoms. About two years ago (I would have been 37/38) I started getting night sweats, GP ran blood tests to rule out anything sinister, nothing showed up so I put it down to my messed up hormones and just tried to get on with it.

This winter past has been horrific though - I’ve gone from being someone who changes to a heavy winter duvet, fleece pjs and an electric blanket, to someone who even on the coldest nights slept in summer pjs, summer duvet on bed, and window open to let in cooler air! I’ve also started to get increasing headaches, acne, breakthrough bleeding, am tired and irritable a lot of the time. Have just felt that pill is no longer working to control my hormones. Back to GP - bloods taken again and this time I’m told estrogen is lower than it should be, and this combined with other symptoms, suggests I’m peri menopausal. I have a feeling I probably have been for a few years now - at least 2 or 3.

GP discussed HRT with me and has left it with me to think about more and come back if I decide to start it. I’m a bit confused though - I thought pill would be keeping my estrogen levels steady, and if it’s not, would HRT work? What makes them different?

I’m very tempted to give it a go as I’d love a respite from what feels like a lifetime of hormonal and gynae issues. Sad that my infertility issues will likely never be resolved now, but at least I can close that chapter rather than having another few years of “maybe”.

Any advice would be much appreciated! And hello to everyone, looking forward to learning more about this journey.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here! Young(ish), perimenopausal and confused....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »

Doesn't matter, I think I responded.  MayB keep it there?  However, I'm a menopausal women whose brain goes AWOL occasionally ;-).  We have a thread about that to: The Strange Woman in my House :  ;)

Luchielene

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:57 PM »

Hello kjsm81,

I am also new here. I am 46 and started HRT a few days ago. Like you I had issues for years with endometriosis for which I had multiple surgeries. And like you, I put down a number of symptoms to Endo for a couple of years but it's now clear that I'm officially in Perimenopause.
It's funny that my reproductive system that has never really functioned it does not want to leave quietly.
I did not experienced hot flushes, but acne, mood swings, anxiety, hair loss. I hope that the HRT will bring some improvements soon.

kjsm81

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:19:37 PM »

I hope it does for you @luchielene....

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »

Hi. Sorry you've suffered all this time. Bring female can be very hard...

I'm 44 and been struggling for 3 years. Can I ask what pill you've been on??? Interesting you say it doesn't seem to be controlling your hormones - did it used to???

I'm on the qlaira pill thread a lot. Struggling to find a combined pill to work, or I feed any pill, I've tried the mini pill too!!!

Maybe they just don't work for us at this stage...  :o

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 04:49:13 PM »

I started HRT at 40 for the same reasons. The gel and the utrogestan 100mg used for 12 days per month were an absolute lifesaver for many many years, if you have symptoms, why wait, your body needs hormones, you are only replacing what you should naturally be making. The rub on gels or patches are definitely the better way to go, transdermally appears to be the most user friendly route.

kjsm81

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »

Thank you @cassie