Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello I am new and confused  (Read 1484 times)

mchaplin

Hello I am new and confused
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »

Good morning,
I am new to the forums, I am 41 this year and been having symptoms for a few years now. My doctor even told me that it was early menopause but I was too young to do anything about it. Well now I am old enough and have been given a HRT patch. It is all so confusing as so many people have said don't go on HRT try natural stuff. These patches keep dropping off and apparently the other brand is not in stock so I have to either tape these on or change to a patch and a tablet. I am just so confused by it all.

Michaela

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello I am new and confused
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »

Join the rest of us confused women  ::):welcomemm:

Your GP was very remiss.  No one is too young for menopause! and you should have been offered appropriate treatment.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use to chart progress.  If you put the name o your HRT into the search box on the Forum you will see any threads relevant: make notes  ;)

Patches can be Little Devils - some put a sticking plaster over it 2 try to keep it in place.  Making sure that the area of skin is completely dry and powder free might help. 

'Many people .......... ' do what feels right 4 U?  Browse round.  There is an alternative room but many find that once their hormones dip and rise any benefits from herbals etc. are lost.

Keep asking!

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

As you're so young for meno it's really important you use hrt to protect your heart and bones. Natural options don't contain oestrogen so won't protect you from osteoporosis. Which are you on? I had trouble keeping evorel patches on. I had to change anyway as I had an allergic reaction so now use oestrogel. I think (not certain) once they have lifted they stop working. I would suggest changing to a different patch or gel. Have a look at the Treatments tab for options.

mchaplin

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:36 AM »

evorel patches are the ones that I have been given at the moment. I think I will just have to tape them on until the other brand is back in stock.
Its only day 3 on the patches and I feel like crying all the time and quite down, no idea if its because of the patches or not. I don't normally feel this bad oh and a constant headache as well.

Michaela

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »

It's ups and downs a bit until medication kicks in  ;)

Headaches can be caused by stress, worry, hormones, dehydration - take a pain relief which will be relaxing over all.  Up your liquid intake for a few hours until your pee is straw coloured.  Any paler and you are drinking too much.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »

Hi mchaplin. Glad you've found us - we all muddle through the confusion together.  ;D

I'm on Evorel patches and, to be honest, they stick like glue for me so I wonder if you are applying them exactly as instructed? Firstly where are you placing them on the body and is the skin clean and dry with no creams or lotions remaining? The advice to hold in place with a warm palm is also important. The hormones are contained in the adhesive so if the patch is not stuck firmly to the skin then you wont be getting the right amount of hormone. It takes up to three months before you know whether a particular HRT is right for you but if the patches aren't sticking then I would seriously consider swapping to a different method as I agree with sheila99 that, at your young age, it is very important to be on HRT at least until the more usual meno age of around 51 in order to protect your heart and bones.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Mogster71

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

Hi Mchaplin

I have the same issues with the Evorel, they "feel" like they aren't very stuck on, but try and get the bu**ers off and it's a different matter!
Day 3 on the patches is very, very early days - do you know where you were in your cycle when you started it, or are you not having periods at the mo? If you are on the Evorel Sequi there are 2 kinds of patches in the pack, one with oestrogen only and one with oestrogen and progesterone. (If you still have a womb you will need the progesterone to balance the oestrogen). Some people find they feel low at certain points in their cycle, particularly progesterone. I know I certainly am really sensitive to the highs and lows of these flipping hormones.

Do give it time to settle, as Taz has said, it can take at least several weeks to start feeling the positive effects and sometimes you can feel negative effects while your body adjusts. I have been guilty of chucking the towel in very quickly in the past because I was expecting a light switch moment where my headaches disappeared.

If by the other brand you mean Femseven Sequi then they are hopefully coming in about mid-year according to the BMS. We can be pals in the queue, along with hordes of other women I expect!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »

The body doesn't usually 'get where it is' in a hurry so it stands to reason that HRT will take a while B4 the body feels better.

Let us know how you get on.

mchaplin

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »

Thank you everyone. I started them on day 2 of my period. This patch seems to be staying on at the moment and I am due to change it tomorrow so will definitely double check that I apply it exactly as it says. I have put it at the top of my leg.

I think I am also just feeling a bit sad that I am having to go on HRT but I know it will be the right thing in the long run and better than what the doctor first suggested which were anti depressants.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »

Why sad about HRT - it's 'replacement' therapy to build up what your body was making.

If U have any other health intervention are you sad?  Menopause is 'natural' but sometimes symptoms overwhelm ladies which requires replacement.