Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Histamine Question  (Read 1648 times)

Kathleen

Histamine Question
« on: March 22, 2021, 05:55:37 PM »

Hello ladies.

I wonder if any of you can enlighten me?

I often have a red and itchy patch appear on my skin for no apparent reason. These patches are quite small and the skin feels hot. I absolutely must scratch them and then after a short while they disappear without leaving a mark. When I was younger they would occasionally come up on my jaw line and and had a white patch of skin in the centre. Again after some scratching and perhaps putting something cold against the skin to cool it down the patch would fade to nothing.
Back in the day I mentioned all this to my GP but of course my skin was fine when I saw him and there were no mobile phones to use to take a picture. The patches usually appear on a boney part of
my body and I have just noticed one come up on my foot.

It occurred to me that this may be due to histamine and perhaps some  knowledgeable ladies here can tell me if that is the case or indeed if they have similar experiences and understand the cause.

Many thanks ladies and wishing everyone well.

K.

Sparrow

Re: Histamine Question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 04:06:05 PM »

Hi Kathleen,

I used to experience something similar, as a child and young woman. 

If I scratched an itch I would come up in huge red weal's that looked like I'd been whipped.  That was caused by excess histamine, but I do not know the mechanism triggers it.  As I got older it seemed to gradually stop.  No idea why though.

Shadyglade

Kathleen

Re: Histamine Question
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 05:55:33 PM »

Hello Shadeyglade and thank you for your response.

I can understand how scratching an itch would result in too much histamine and I'm pleased that this no longer happens to you.

I think that my case is slightly different because the redness and heat appear first and then the itching begins and I need to scratch. It may still be due to histamine though.

Thanks again and wishing you well.

K.