Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Iron Tablets and Constipation  (Read 2080 times)

Honeybean

Iron Tablets and Constipation
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:31:29 PM »

Hi

Has anyone else been put on Iron tablets by doctor and ended up constipated?

I have been feeling incredibly tired and had a really tight chest and shortness of breath. Doctor thought my symptoms might be died to low iron. She did blood tests and found my iron levels very low.

I was surprised, because  I already take Spatone iron liquid daily. I told the doctor and she said Spatone wouldn’t work for me because my levels are too low. Spatone is 6mg and my iron tablets are 250mg per tablet per day!

Anyway, I am feeling much better, the tight chest and shortness of breath have gone and I feel less tired. However I am now constipated and feel sluggish.

Anyone suffered the same and got any advice/suggestions?

Thanks x

Iris67

Re: Iron Tablets and Constipation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »

Wow that is a high dose! Your levels must be so low for you to have been put on that... I had very low levels years ago and I went for 20mg (Florisene). The only one that doesn't constipate me is the Floradix liquid.

For you I would suggest really high levels of fluids or a strong coffee. The doc will probably just give you laxatives.

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 06:56:43 AM »

Another suggestion here: magnesium citrate tablets 100mg before breakfast.

Constipation is beastly, I developed it on Hrt.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »

No advice re constipation I'm afraid but I wondered whether you have had any investigation as to why you have such low levels? I had to have an endoscopy when this happened to me.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »

Mum had iron tablets as routine treatment in 1959 when pregnant. Made her constipated and she suffered with piles as a consequence  :-\

Iris67

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »

CherrySG!! Yes - magnesium!! I'd forgotten about that one - really works brilliantly. And helps you get good quality sleep.

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:24:39 PM »

Whenever I've taken iron tablets, I've been warned that the side effects can include constipation, so I think this is normal.

Unfortunately, I have the 'opposite' problem, so I've ditched the tablets and am back on the liquid!!!

Cookie25

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »

Hi,

I was on 125mg of iron 3 times a day and bought dried prunes as a sweet treat plus had a ultraviolet oh green juice for lunch. Worked for me x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 07:42:20 AM »

Whenever I've taken iron tablets, I've been warned that the side effects can include constipation, so I think this is normal.

Unfortunately, I have the 'opposite' problem, so I've ditched the tablets and am back on the liquid!!!

Hi Dorothy. Do you know that your levels are still low? I only ask as the only time it upset my stomach was when I had enough iron and my body was getting rid of the supplement quickly as it wasn't needed.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »

???  ultraviolet oh green juice.   ???  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »

Hi Dorothy. Do you know that your levels are still low? I only ask as the only time it upset my stomach was when I had enough iron and my body was getting rid of the supplement quickly as it wasn't needed.

Taz x

/quote]

No, I had trouble with them from the start.  GP reluctantly cut my dose in half when I mentioned the diarrhea but insisted I kept taking them as I was still so anaemic .  But it didn't make any difference.  Couldn't get another GP appointment as it was 'non essential', so I've just taken myself off the tablets.  Judging by how I feel, I'm still anaemic, but I'm taking an over-the-counter liquid supplement and hoping for the best, although it's obviously going to take much longer for my levels to rise. 

Cookie25

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 10:19:00 PM »

???  ultraviolet oh green juice.   ???  :-\
[/quowete]

Hilarious, this must have been an autocorrect that I didn't spot! Haha what I tried to say was 'a nutribullet of green juice'   ;D ;D ;D :-*