Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Constant song in head  (Read 9627 times)

Postmeno3

Constant song in head
« on: March 20, 2021, 08:59:43 AM »

Hi,
Does anyone else get this, a song playing repetitively/obsessively in the head? Impossible to stop. Feels so intrusive! Any thoughts? It starts on waking and goes on throughout the day for spells! 🙄

Taz2

Re: Constant song in head
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 09:16:24 AM »

It's called an ear worm.

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:17:58 AM »

Yes me,it drives me up the wall,it was that bloody sea shanty,would go to bed and it wouldn't stop,so now I do technique at bedtime which involves saying "don't think" over and over in your head,which is what they apparently teach to soldiers and it works thankfully

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 09:41:11 AM »

Yep.  We have a brass elephant in our lounge, if anyone dares mention 'Nellie' 4 her name. .............  >:(  ;D

Do U sing in your sleep, I do  ::)

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »

Gosh, this is really interesting. Is it hormonal? Oh, yes, the sea shanty!  ;D With me, it's Dermot Kennedy's "Outnumbered"....even with the Irish accent to a tee! No, I don't sing in my sleep, thankfully, grateful for the respite! I wonder if there's something about the repetition, always seems a very repetitive song! 🤔

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 12:50:21 PM »

I've had this all my Life.  I used to whistle through my teeth, Dad put a stop to that!  I've noticed that I do it again ......... I expect his Big Hand to come down from above and clip my ear  ;D

With me it's usually a tune/song that I can't abide, or 1 that I know a few words of but not the whole song.   :D

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 02:42:13 PM »

Gosh, this is really interesting. Is it hormonal?

It's not hormonal. Latest research suggests chewing gum might help break the cycle. Some say to play the whole song through as usually it's not the whole song which plays in your head but a repetitive riff or phrase from the song. By hearing the whole song it can stop the endless playing of part of it. My earworm today is a song called Recovery by Frank Turner. It's only the chorus but is apt for the way the world is at the minute!

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »

......... and add tinnitus into the mix ?  >:(  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »

I have this when I do not know the song properly, especially if I can't get the words right and make some up.  I look on it as my brain trying to fill in the gaps.

The usual cure is to learn it properly.

Lynda07

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »

I get this, lots and lots. I mentioned it to my husband who had no clue what I was talking about. For example, since watching It’s a Sin I have the “I saw a Mouse, where...’ (A windmill in Amsterdam) song on almost a constant loop which to be honest I could do without  :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »

Oh stop it  ;D .............

'Edelweiss ......... '

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 08:10:54 PM »

I get this, lots and lots. I mentioned it to my husband who had no clue what I was talking about. For example, since watching It’s a Sin I have the “I saw a Mouse, where...’ (A windmill in Amsterdam) song on almost a constant loop which to be honest I could do without  :)

Thanks for that Lynda - now I've got It's a Sin going round and round in MY head  ;D

Taz x

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 08:58:26 PM »

Trying really hard not to laugh, but there IS a funny side! Quite often advert tunes go on a loop with me, too. Perhaps we should keep this thread running with what everyone's "playing"! Meanwhile....."Everybody Loves Somebody Some Time...." 🎼🎵🎙🎤🎧🤯

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 09:05:23 PM »

I lost my heating suddenly a few years back in both ears due to both eardrums bursting within hours of each other.  I developed musical tinnitus, honestly I’d be dropping off to sleep and I’d have last night of the proms playing, symbols clashing! The lot! I had classical music plus way time songs.  Dr said it’s the brain making noise

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 09:41:00 PM »

Sorry Taz2  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4