Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and utrogestan  (Read 1136 times)

Moonshine54

Mirena coil and utrogestan
« on: March 13, 2021, 08:35:41 PM »

Hi Everyone
A couple of years ago i had to have my mirena coil removed as the gp thought it may have been linked to urinary tract infections.  However  it wasn't. 
Six months later i started with low moods and other perimenopause symptoms.
I started on utrogestan and estrogen patches . I have never really  been well since.
I took utrogestan orally and that was absolutely terrible. I then took it vaginally and it improved but still hasnt been great. My husband said i was better on the mirena coil.
I thought utrogestan would be soo much better as its biodentical . However i think i may be more suited to the mirena coil. Which is a synthetic hormone..
Can anyone explain this to me please?
I have just had the mirena put back in but i feel like i have really struggled  the last two years. I have persisted as i thought it would be better for me. However it really hasnt been and i think the affects of it were really building up. I would love to know your experiences of it xx

sheila99

Re: Mirena coil and utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »

Some things suit some women, others don't, no obvious reason why. I was fine on evorel conti until I developed a rash but get fatigue with utrogeston. I'd like to try a mirena but a bit worried in case it doesn't agree with me and I can't take it out myself. IMO if you find something that suits you stick with it.

Grheliz1

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »

I was worried about having a Mirena coil, having previously had Utrogestan. The Utrogestan never really controlled my uterine polyps and hyperplasia so I was told I would have to have a Mirena. I have found it suits me quite well. The bleeding seems to be easing up and the only side effect I have had is a bit of water retention, slowing down my digestive system. No aching breasts, headaches, mood swings, etc.

Have been pleasantly surprised. I wish i'd had it inserted years ago, when my perimenopausal periods were gruesome.

Moonshine54

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »

Thank you both for your  replies . It just shows that HRT is very individual.  I wish i hadnt kept on using utrogestin  for two years. Hopefully things will settle down now i have the coil fitted. Xx