Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Grey Hair dilemma at 50  (Read 6257 times)

Hinari hot flush

Grey Hair dilemma at 50
« on: March 06, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »

Hi everyone I am 50 this year and didn't expect to be contemplating this but with the lack of hair dresser trips I'm now sporting a lot of grey hair. Was wonder what anyone's experiences are with growing their grey hair out?

Also worried about becoming invisible at work if I go totally grey.

Also due to hot flushes I'm now finding I am constantly putting my hair in a ponytail due to the sweat on my neck ( I know TMI lol)  what hairstyle is best for these tropical moments dont fancy the pixie look that older women tend to go for

CherrySG

Re: Grey Hair dilemma at 50
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »

How about a French braid? At least you're not making the same mistake as me! I did a buzz cut last September to get rid of all the dyed hair.

Loved the buzz cut but when I'd grown enough out for a pixie, I realised the grey was not doing me any favours (i. e. added 10 years to my appearance  :-\)

Braids hide the demarcation line well also.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »

Before last years lockdown I had very thick longish auburn bob. I decided after being encouraged by OH to go grey, so when I could go to the hairdressers I got a pixie cut, which hid the horrible badger line. Most of the dye is gone now and I don't mind the short cut but it is lots of work but I hate the grey, I look so old! I don't think the grey necessarily makes you invisible, it's a matter of how you feel about it and its hard to tell until you've done it. I'm thinking of having some highlights / lowlights. Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to have roots done every month so want something that only needs doing every 3 months at most but lifts it a bit.

CherrySG

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »

Before last years lockdown I had very thick longish auburn bob. I decided after being encouraged by OH to go grey, so when I could go to the hairdressers I got a pixie cut, which hid the horrible badger line. Most of the dye is gone now and I don't mind the short cut but it is lots of work but I hate the grey, I look so old! I don't think the grey necessarily makes you invisible, it's a matter of how you feel about it and its hard to tell until you've done it. I'm thinking of having some highlights / lowlights. Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to have roots done every month so want something that only needs doing every 3 months at most but lifts it a bit.

What about some silver-blonde highlights? Once my second 💉 has kicked in I'm SO making a hair appointment  :)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »

CherryG what did you do with yours / plan to do re colour

CherrySG

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »

CherryG what did you do with yours / plan to do re colour

Hey shropshirelass, I'm intending to go for a brown base with a few pale blonde, and some golden blonde highlights. Having said that, the whole-head single colours seem to be what people have these days, so I'm a bit concerned that that would be a little old-fashioned. What do you think?

I also couldn't deal with being grey, although it really suits some women.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »

10 years ago I stopped having my hair coloured: hi and low lights 6 weeks apart then left for months : I like the result.  Short hair suits better after a certain age, I have enough mousey/hazel background with silver on top.  When it's cut off it's mostly the grey that disappears, I put the last lot out for the birds  8)

CherrySG

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »

10 years ago I stopped having my hair coloured: hi and low lights 6 weeks apart then left for months : I like the result.  Short hair suits better after a certain age, I have enough mousey/hazel background with silver on top.  When it's cut off it's mostly the grey that disappears, I put the last lot out for the birds  8)

Great time of year to do that CLKD. I saw a blackbird busy gathering material for her nest this morning.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »

Hi there

I never had that dilemma! I started dyeing my hair in my 30s as I was having children throughout this time and no way was I going to look grey. So now in mid 60's and still dyeing! I know I will look so old if I grow it out. Not sure when I'll stop but not yet!

As for the hairstyle - also no way woud I get that all cut off short/pixie look. I did cut it short a while back but decided again I looked too old so keep it longer now - hides the lines somewhat - well the neck particularly. I do have in ponytail in the summer when it's hot although I know I look older as it reveals my face in all its glory  ;D.

It is not necessary to have your hair cut short as you age!!

However you are still so young at 50 so just keep on looking as young as you feel even with a bit of artificial help! Make the most of your youthful face! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »

It isn't necessary but I haven't seen a woman with grey hair yet that wouldn't benefit from shorter hair  ;)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »

It was a big step for me to stop dyeing my hair but 5 months without a hairdresser helped and I absolutely hated the stripe contrasting with with my dark dyed hair. Also my hair was so thick and long going pixie was a huge step. The cut is ok but the colour, which is what I'd describe as salt and pepper is not very flattering. My youngest son doesn't like it and wants to know where his mum has gone. I haven't seen him much for obvious reasons and he jumps when he sees me!

I'm not going back to having roots done each month and touching up after 3 weeks. My hair was so dry and it is much improved now but the grey does make it a bit wirey. I am hoping my hairdresser has some suggestions about low maintenance highlights which will make me look a bit more presentable.

I have been particularly interested in the countless blogs Ive read about women embracing their greyness and I think a lot of my feelings about mine are culturally constructed. So Im going to keep the grey but go for a compromised position.

CherrySG I think you should go with what you are comfortable with and try not worry about what others think. It's a shame we can't try colours / styles out before taking the plunge.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »

Find a hair dresser with wigs? 

I have enough colour to make the grey acceptable  ::) but I rarely look in the mirror anyway  ;)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »

CLKD haha!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »

We used wigs B4 we had our hair cut short: that is 3 friends and I took over a salon one afternoon and had Great Fun.

When my hair is cut professionally most of the grey disappears ;-)

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »

Grey hair looks ok when styled but if not it can look unflattering.  It's hard work maintaining appearances when you get older, and lockdown makes it worse.  Then the " oh I can't be bothered" feeling starts and it's a slippery slope!  Can't wait to have my hair done, booked in already!
Pages: [1] 2 3