Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Will I always bleed on HRT  (Read 1522 times)

Michelle46

Will I always bleed on HRT
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »

Hi everyone
I am 51 years old and not sure if I'm menopausal yet. I've been on hrt since I was 46. I use 3 pumps of gel and 12 days of the month I take utrogestan. I usually have a bleed for a couple of days after the utrogestan stage but it was 11 weeks last time. Why was this? Will I always have a bleed on this regime of hrt or will it stop eventually?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Will I always bleed on HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »

MayB put the product names into the search box on the Forum to see if threads pop up?  Could it be your hormones joining in?  The ovaries can throw out oestrogen occasionally.

Hurdity

Re: Will I always bleed on HRT
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »

Most women will continue to have a bleed if they remain on sequential ( cyclical) HRT although a small percentage of women do stop. If you want a no-bleed regime then you will need to go for continuous combined HRT where you take progesterone every day along with the oestrogen.  When you change to this you may experience some bleeding or spotting for the first 6 months until it eventually (hopefully) stops - which is normal. This is only suitable if you are post-menopausal otherwise you will bleed when your own cycle breaks through and you ovulate. If you don't know if you are post-meno yet and want to try it - then ask your doc to do so and see what happens.

You would take 100 mg utrogestan each day - although sometimes this is not sufficient to stop bleeding when taken orally with higher doses of oestrogen.

When I took cyclical HRT on a 28 day cycle - by the time I was late 50's the bleeds had stopped so although I was post-menopausal and could have gone to a conti regime, eventually I was able to lengthen the cycle to minimise the amount of time I took the progesterone for ( which I don't like).

Hurdity x