Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Confused! Evorel Sequi HRT patches for perimenopause  (Read 24581 times)

PeriWhat?!

Confused! Evorel Sequi HRT patches for perimenopause
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »

Hi all. I need some voices of experience to help me find my way through some confusion my GP has created around Evorel Sequi HRT patches please.

I've just started on my first HRT prescription of these patches (50 and Conti).

45yo, in peri, not had a period in three months, a little bit frustrated that I couldn't ride it out without HRT for longer to see what was what. But, I couldn't stand the peri symptoms any more, so here I am.

GP has given me the impression that another combo of HRT would be better for me, post-menopause. If that's true, how can you possibly know when to stop using these patches to switch to something that might be more suitable? Do you need to stop using Evorel for a year or more at some point to assess whether you're post-menopausal or not? If so, when is that point? My GP was very vague on this question!!

I ask because my GP initially prescribed me oestrogen patches and progesterone pills and spent a long time discussing with me over the phone how this was the very best option for me.

Then called me back a couple of hours later to apologise because she'd made a mistake and that combination is for post-menopausal women. Obviously I'm glad she realised and sorted the mistake out and changed the prescription. It is all very confusing though!

Taz2

Re: Confused! Evorel Sequi HRT patches for perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:54:20 PM »

Hi PeriWhat?!

It can get confusing but sequi is the right HRT for you at the moment. As you say you won't know when you reach post-menopause so the general guidelines are that you can swap to conti around about the age of 53/54.

The mistake your doctor made is surprisingly common - scarily - which is why it is always good to arm yourself with as much information as possible and not just trust what is given to you - well that's how I see things anyway with anything medical related  ;D

I hope the Evorel helps with your symptoms. At your age then HRT is considered necessary as lack of oestrogen before the normal meno age of 51/52 can have a detrimental effect on both your heart and bone health. You are merely replacing what your body would have been making naturally.

Taz x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:31:56 AM »

Hi you could have used the oestrogen patches and Utrogestan tablets in peri menopause quite safely. You take the tablets for 12 days of every month. x

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »

Hi PeriWhat?!

It can get confusing but sequi is the right HRT for you at the moment. As you say you won't know when you reach post-menopause so the general guidelines are that you can swap to conti around about the age of 53/54.

The mistake your doctor made is surprisingly common - scarily - which is why it is always good to arm yourself with as much information as possible and not just trust what is given to you - well that's how I see things anyway with anything medical related  ;D

I hope the Evorel helps with your symptoms. At your age then HRT is considered necessary as lack of oestrogen before the normal meno age of 51/52 can have a detrimental effect on both your heart and bone health. You are merely replacing what your body would have been making naturally.

Taz x

Hi Taz, thanks for replying. That is really helpful to know. So it sounds as though you don't necessarily take time off HRT to see what natural stage your body is at - you just wait until you reach the average age and switch over then without a gap? That makes sense, I guess because that's still six or seven years away, I was probably hoping to keep things as close 'natural', whatever that is lol, as I could.
I hope it helps the symptoms too, I'll find out in two or three months if it's had a positive effect, won't I?
Thanks again for posting.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 06:06:15 PM »

Hi you could have used the oestrogen patches and Utrogestan tablets in peri menopause quite safely. You take the tablets for 12 days of every month. x

Agh! Isn't that typical. ;D Oh well, I don't have the prescription for that any more. It took so long to actually speak to the GP I don't know if I can face the hours spent on hold waiting to speak to someone just yet. I have to book a review appt for the Evorel in three months, so I can ask about it then. Thanks for replying Dotty!

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »

Just thought I would post a brief update in case anyone else is looking for people's experiences when first starting to use Evorel Sequi (50 and Conti) patches.
I've been using these patches for two weeks, so have only applied the 50 (oestrogen) patches so far.
The patches are a little bit uncomfortable, v annoying when you wear jeans, but overall ok.
Symptoms - I am having some very extreme mood swings, and am very emotional. However, I was getting this a lot before the Evorel, and it's very early days with the patches.
Last weekend, I had a migraine so bad, I had to go to bed for a few hours. Again, at this stage, I don't really know if this is due to the patches or not.
However, the night sweats seem to already be improving, even though my sleep is still terrible. And have a slightly less dry vag (couldn't think of a nicer way of saying that, sorry!). 
So, overall, it seems stuff is starting to happen already. I have two weeks of the Conti patches with oestrogen and progestogen coming up next, so will try to remember to post again.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »

You may find hrt isn't enough if you have vaginal atrophy. Ask your gp for localised oestrogen too if you need it.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »

Thanks Sheila99. I am not sure, tbh. Just drier than normal, and I only noticed this in the last few weeks. I'm hoping that catching it early will be a good thing? Definitely something to keep an eye on.  :-\

xena

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »

Hi I am 47 and have noticed peri symptoms for around 2 years, but up to now coped without any treatments....It appears everyone has a different response to HRT...I started on Evorel Sequi last week and I have started my 3rd patch today. I have already had a reduction in anxiety and night sweats. Have a 3 month trial then a review with my GP (who has been fantastic)

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »

I'm glad it's working for you. Nice to hear a success story, many people end up on here because they have trouble with it.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »

Hi I am 47 and have noticed peri symptoms for around 2 years, but up to now coped without any treatments....It appears everyone has a different response to HRT...I started on Evorel Sequi last week and I have started my 3rd patch today. I have already had a reduction in anxiety and night sweats. Have a 3 month trial then a review with my GP (who has been fantastic)

That's really good to hear, come back and keep us posted with how you get on.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »

I'm glad it's working for you. Nice to hear a success story, many people end up on here because they have trouble with it.

It is, isn't it?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »

Another update: I'm reaching the end of month #1 on these patches now, last few days on Evorel Conti for this month. Still having mood swings, but in all honesty, I have a lot of anxiety-inducing stuff going on in other areas of my life right now so who knows?

There's no doubt these patches have already almost stopped night sweats and daytime hot flushes (so far).

What I'd really like to ask other people about is... the end-of-month bleed you get on these patches. I know it's not a true period, but it is a bit grim. Not enough blood to comfortably use a tampon, or even to flow out on to a pad, just dark brown chunks. I wasn't quite expecting them to look so visceral! Everyone talks about it as a 'bleed', don't they, but I've never had a 'bleed' like this before.

Has anyone else had this? Could it be a sign of the dreaded VA that was mentioned before? Or could it be because my periods were getting close to finishing by themselves before I started on the HRT patches?

This forum is amazing, thanks all for your patience and help with all my questions!

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »

Just wanted to add another positive effect of Evorel Sequi so far... I'm just starting to sleep again!

I'm now starting month #2 of patches and have gone from 2-4ish hours broken sleep each night, to 5 hrs, 5.5hrs and even a couple of 6hr sleeps!

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »

It's good news about the sleeping. Makes you feel so much better overall doesn't it.

Ive just read your post re bleeding. Usually
the bleed is at the beginning of the new pack as it's the withdrawal of the progesterone which triggers a bleed. You will probably find this is what happens over the next few months and your cycle settles. I found the first two bleeds were quite crampy and painful but by month 3 it was much better.

Thanks for the updates.  :)

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8