Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Does society never learn !  (Read 1552 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Does society never learn !
« on: February 16, 2021, 04:18:47 PM »

I can't believe, that 50 years after the Aberfan disaster, that these continue to pose potential dangers!     :'(

Almost 300 old coal tips in Wales have been classed as "high-risk" a year on from a 60,000 tonne landslip caused by Storm Dennis.

The matter was discussed at a Welsh Government summit on mine safety on Tuesday.

Wales has more than 2,000 coal tips. Most are on private land and most are around the south Wales valleys.

Of those, 294 are categorised as "high-risk", meaning they could endanger life or property.

Seventy are in Caerphilly, 64 in Rhondda Cynon Taf, 59 in Merthyr Tydfil, 42 in Bridgend, 35 in Neath Port Talbot, 16 in Blaenau Gwent and eight in Swansea.

The landslip last year was at Tylorstown, in Rhondda. Since it happened, work has been done to map tips and assess their stability.

Padine

Re: Does society never learn !
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:49:28 PM »

I don’t know anything about coal mines but I do remember the Aberfan disaster albeit I was only about 8 years old. One of my favourite uncles was a miner from the north of England and the coal dust he inhaled contributed to his  early death.