Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Asking GP for blood tests for anaemia?  (Read 1300 times)

KittyBee

Asking GP for blood tests for anaemia?
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:30:32 AM »

Hi all.

My symptoms appeared a few years ago and I assumed it was the start of menopause. Main problems now are muscle and joint pains, weakness, poor concentration, thinning hair, anxiety, lack of confidence, feeling cold and breathlessness (although I do have asthma).

I’ve been reading some interesting threads on here about hypothyroidism and anaemia. I have suspected for a while that I am borderline anaemic (based on blood tests done in the last couple of years). I have tried Spatone and gentle iron tablets but not noticed much difference).

Blood tests have shown that I am low in folate and my ferritin level (last checked a couple of years ago as part of a Medichecks thyroid panel) was 16.5 (range was 13 - 150). Blood tests done in August last year showed both MCV and MCH were barely in range - this can indicate anaemia.

I am not currently taking HRT as I was prescribed Elleste last year, which was unavailable. I was then told by my rheumatologist (who I see for possible fibromyalgia) that I had tested borderline for antiphospholipid syndrome so HRT was not recommended.

I am planning to contact my GP to ask for some blood tests - I am guessing a full blood panel would be a good place to start, but is there anything else I should ask for? I had a standard thyroid test done last August - it only looked at TSH level, which was within normal range (2.7 in a range 0.2 - 6).

Thanks in advance.

Kathleen

Re: Asking GP for blood tests for anaemia?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 01:11:53 PM »

Hello kitty Bee.

It may  be worth being checked again for anaemia, especially if you are still having periods.

At the end of 2019 I was diagnosed with low thyroid and prescribed Levothyroxine,  my follow-up blood tests always look at TSH, T4 and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies.

You may also want  your vitamin D levels to be measured as many of your problems could be due to a deficiency.

Hope all this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Take care.

K.

KittyBee

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 02:30:26 PM »

Hi Kathleen, I am not currently having periods - it’s been almost a year since the last one (I think). My vitamin D is due to be tested, it is usually on the low side, I take a supplement spray daily.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »

Hello again KittyBee.

We are told that our vitamin D  levels fall during the winter so if you have your blood test soon it may show  that you have become deficient.

Hopefully other ladies will be along advise you on any other tests that you may need.

Take care.

K.