Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Merina coil for thickening of the womb lining  (Read 2893 times)

Poe67

• First Flush
Merina coil for thickening of the womb lining
« on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »

Hello this is my first post,
I'm 53 post menopause no period fir 14 months.
Started to bleed quite heavily with lots of clotts and pain.
Dr referred me on 2 week path,
Had a trans vag scan which showed thickening of the womb and a polyp, got booked in for a hysteroscopy, polyp was removed and sent for testing also womb biopsies taken and tested.
Got the results back this week the womb biopsies were ok and the womb lining messument was 14mm. The polyp had some pre cancerous cells.
I was told I could either do nothing or have the merena coil so l opted for the coil...not knowing anything about it other than it reduces the thickening. I've had an appointment for next Saturday to have it fitted tho I'm feeling as tho its all a bit rushed.
Prior to my bleed i was struggling with things in my vigina, just not feeling right! Dr said i had a slight front and back wall prolapse nothing to bad so she prescribed me some estarol cream i didn't end up using it as a few days later I had the bleed... was told not to use it after my hysteroscopy. I have also been doing my pelvic floor exercises. I have an appointment with my gp on Tuesday to discuss these things with her.... does anyone want to comment or give me any advice if they have had a similar experience. Thanks sorry for the long post. X

Dierdre

Re: Merina coil for thickening of the womb lining
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »

Hi Poe67
Its not uncommon to have a period after 14 months, I did,  so you may have to start the count to post menopause again and could actually have a few more. Local estrogen will definately help the prolapse, also the pelvic floor excercises, as long as you do them correctly. A referral to a physiotherapist to learn how to do them properly would be beneficial, I found them to be very helpful.

Poe67

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:15:14 AM »

Hi Dierdre
Yeah I see what your saying about a period tho it wasn't like a normal period lots of clots very painful to the point my dr sent me to the hospital to rule out appendicitis, which of course it wasn't I was then sent for further investigation trans vag scan and hysteroscopy which I put in my previous post.
Just really wanted some feedback on the merena coil if its necessary for the womb lining thickening. I am itching to try the estrioil gel as my viginal system aren't going away but have to speek with my dr as was told by the consultant who gave me my results not to use it, tho what I've read about it im hopefull i can start to use it. I've seen a pelvic floor therapist and have been doing them for a few months now bought myself a kegal exerciser the weighed one. Thanks for your reply I must say there's wealth of information out there I didn't know about to do with the meaporse . X

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 07:48:22 PM »

I recently had a hysteroscopy & had a polyp removed, My gynae also suggested I have a mirena coil fitted at the same time to help reduce thickening of the lining.
I declined as I am 63 & wouldn't look forward to having it removed in 4 - 5 years time.
However if I were your age I would go for it. It could prevent this happening again.... & while their "down there" you might as well take them up on their offer.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.
Cazikins x

Grheliz1

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »

I had a Mirena inserted just before Christmas to hopefully remove the risk of atypical hyperplasia--that's the precancerous thickening of the endometrium. They aren't sure whether I have this or the non-precancerous typical hyperplasia, as biopsies from hysteroscopies keep coming back as uncertain.

I had my last set of hysteroscopy/biopsies last week and am waiting for the results. I still seem to develop polyps but the Mirena had only been in for about seven or eight weeks when I was examined so I'm hoping that they may be able to stretch out the time until the next hysteroscopy from three to six months.

It's a niggling worry that they can't rule out the atypical form of hyperplasia, which would mean me having a hysterectomy as I am now 57 and have finished what they call my 'fertility journey'. But rationally it seems more likely that it was my HRT that started the polyps growing and now I have the Mirena the more direct form of progesterone will help. I am carrying on with HRT (oestrogel).

I don't have any other risk factors for endometrial cancer as I've had children and am not overweight and don't have any family history of this kind of cancer.