Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sinus problem - ice cold air  (Read 1325 times)

Jellyb

Sinus problem - ice cold air
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:49:09 PM »

Has anyone else had this problem and can give it a name or suggest any proven remedies please?
This is happening just in my left nostril, my nose is not blocked, quite the opposite. 
When I breathe in, it's like ice cold air is shooting up my sinuses into my forehead.  It's very painful, almost burning with the cold.
It feels nice to massage my forehead right up to my hairline but I'm not sure if that's actually doing any good.
It's particularly bad in bed at night and I'm having trouble sleeping.  I've been hiding my head under the covers to try & create a bit of warmth but there's no way I can sleep like that.
Have tried ibuprofen and steaming (just plain water, anything added will irritate my sinuses), but nothing gives me any real relief.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sinus problem - ice cold air
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »

Do you have hairs in your nostrils?  They act as a filter. It may be that the area is inflammed, worsened by the cold air .  Is it dry?

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »

Jelly, you may have an infection in one of your sinus passages.

Probably worth calling your GP as you might need ABs.

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »

CLKD Yes, I do have hairs. ;D
Shadyglade, it's getting to that point. Thought I could treat it myself but it's getting worse I think.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 08:44:15 PM »

Hi Jellb,
Just read your symptoms, the cold ice up the nostril and having to put your head under the covers, dont want to panic you and it could be sinus infection but they are the exact symtoms i had in April when I had Covid. A few days after this i lost my taste and smell. Have you any other symptoms like aching joints or sore throat, headache? I would go for a test just to be sure.

Jellyb

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »

Hi Dierdre, hope you have recovered ok. I don't think its covid as I have had this before over the years, and this episode has been going on for a few weeks now.  Also, I feel otherwise fine.  Will keep an eye on it though.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »

Its probably not then if youve had this before, mine was covid and it left my nasal and sinus passages raw, felt like an ice pick up my nose when i breathed in and out and id go under the covers to breathe. Covid left me with tinitus and also some things still dont taste the same but im alive and grateful for that.  Hope you're feeling better soon.