Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 3 scariest things you’ve ever done (I don’t mean health related)  (Read 5375 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 3 scariest things you’ve ever done (I don’t mean health related)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 06:38:41 PM »

.... and the complete dark is black - 1 can touch the air.  They do that down the Blue John Cave  :o and advise not to move because touching someone will make them shriek  :D

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 10:50:57 PM »

My many driving tests! My ‘delightful’ mother had insisted I was an accident waiting to happen and refused to pay for lessons, having paid for my sister to learn. Learning to drive was no problem, when I had left home,  but her voice criticising was in my head as I took each test. Apart from having an argument with some railings when parking, I haven’t had an accident. So there, mother!

Coming down a mountain on a ski lift when a pea souper of a fog descended and the lift was stopped for what seemed hours. I was suspended on my own in the middle of nothing. Horrible. I was terrified. I’m not very brave about physical things.

getting_old

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 10:57:27 PM »

I'd love to know if anyone ever enjoyed a driving test?? They seem to be the scariest things ever. My parents wouldn't let me take my test until I'd had a year of lessons and practice because several friends did the week long intensive courses, or had a month of daily lessons then took their tests. Once they passed they had a load of accidents because they'd only learnt to pass the test, and not how to drive in all conditions. I was taken out at night, in rain, snow, fog, etc. and still totally terrified when it came to the test.

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 01:13:31 PM »

300 miles off Portsmouth, shipping forecast says 'severe gale force 9 imminent.... have a peaceful night'. Yeah, right. Look outside and the waves are higher than the rop of the mast. First time I thought I might not make it home and years before I could listen to the shipping forecast without my heart beating faster.
  I am frightened of heights. Middle of the S Atlantic and someone (not me) let go of the halyard (rope that goes through the top of the mast to hold the sail up) so of course it ended up in the deck and had to go back up the mast. So with the boat rolling in the swell I was hoisted up in the bisun's chair which is just a sling. So terrified I thought I was going to pass out and let go of the mast.

getting_old

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 06:46:26 PM »

300 miles off Portsmouth, shipping forecast says 'severe gale force 9 imminent.... have a peaceful night'. Yeah, right. Look outside and the waves are higher than the rop of the mast. First time I thought I might not make it home and years before I could listen to the shipping forecast without my heart beating faster.
  I am frightened of heights. Middle of the S Atlantic and someone (not me) let go of the halyard (rope that goes through the top of the mast to hold the sail up) so of course it ended up in the deck and had to go back up the mast. So with the boat rolling in the swell I was hoisted up in the bisun's chair which is just a sling. So terrified I thought I was going to pass out and let go of the mast.

:medal: :medal:
I'd never even go on a boating lake after those experiences  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »

:o :o :o.  so not  8)

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 08:04:28 AM »

Ooh that was nasty going up the mast like that, bad enough when the boat is tied up.
They should have made the culprit do it.

sheila99

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »

Agreed. Unfortunately the culprit was heavier and stronger than me (only 2 of us) so was better on the winch.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »

Agreed. Unfortunately the culprit was heavier and stronger than me (only 2 of us) so was better on the winch.

Arh, know what you’re saying. Hope you got your own back 😉

littleminnie

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 01:04:26 PM »

I'd love to know if anyone ever enjoyed a driving test?? They seem to be the scariest things ever. My parents wouldn't let me take my test until I'd had a year of lessons and practice because several friends did the week long intensive courses, or had a month of daily lessons then took their tests. Once they passed they had a load of accidents because they'd only learnt to pass the test, and not how to drive in all conditions. I was taken out at night, in rain, snow, fog, etc. and still totally terrified when it came to the test.

It’s like people who say they enjoyed giving birth.  Who can enjoy all that pain! 
Pages: 1 [2]