Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Going cold turkey!  (Read 1564 times)

Georgiegirl52

Going cold turkey!
« on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:44 AM »

Hi all, I have had to stop my HRT for breast surgery.  It’s been a week now and I feel awful.  Anxious, tearful, achy, my stomach feels like it used to before a period and I have slight brownish discharge now and again.  Spoke to my gp who reassured me that is all normal and has prescribed an antidepressant which she said can help with menopause symptoms.  She also said it will get better.  The sudden diagnosis and forthcoming surgery plus COVID could all be making it worse I suppose.  Any help or advice gratefully received. Xx

corianne

Re: Going cold turkey!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »

Hi Georgiegirl  :)

I had to stop my HRT cold turkey a few months ago and for the first couple of weeks I felt dreadful, everything you've said and terrible migraines. It was like my body went into shock! But, It did get better  :)
Be kind to yourself, try to do as little as possible, relax when you can, be as lazy as you can be! It's hard on your mind and body when you stop HRT suddenly and added to this you have all your other worries going on.
Antidepressants can certainly help with the Anxiety, and you don't have to stay on them, they could help during the time you are off HRT and if you feel you need something during this time.
It must be such a worrying time for you and I wish I could give you some further advice other than 'it gets better' - I do hope someone will come along to help there.
Take care, and let us know how you are getting on.
xx

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »

Thank you for your lovely reply, such kind words and reassuring.  It’s a really anxious  time for all of us certainly not made any easier by added health worries and impending hospital visits.
Many thanks again. Stay safe.
Alison xx

Padine

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »

Hi Georgiegirl, hope you’re feeling brighter. Corieanne is right and be kind to yourself - nothing bad lasts for ever and you have the GP’s reassurance that all is as well as it can be. Of course you’re anxious about the forthcoming surgery, that’s only natural and you’re doing your very best towards that going well -  be proud of yourself with what you’ve achieved so far 🤗
    Do you like music? If so, put on something you like and relax+rest.

(I’m waiting for biopsy results right now and am trying to follow my own advice, it’s hard but I keep saying nothing bad lasts for ever etc.... and my GP is with me all the way too. -  we’ve done the hard part in discovering what’s wrong  -  it’s all going to get better 😊 )

Enjoy Sunday xx

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »

Hi Corieanne and Padine. Thank you too for your kind word Padine.  Iam feeling quite a bit better thank you, my gp has put me on an antidepressant which is used to help ease the symptoms, I think they must be working. To begin with they made me feel sick and dizzy but she said to persevere. My legs ache like mad though.  Although I’m keeping moving it is lovely so sit down again as I get so tired.
I have everything crossed for you Padine with your results, it’s tough just waiting. 🤞🙏 all will be ok.
Keep in touch.
Alison (georgiegirl)

corianne

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »

Hi Georgie Girl,
How are you doing?? Hope everything is going okay for you.
And Padine, hope everything is going okay for you too.
I am having a scan tomorrow - it does worry you so much at this time, with everything else going on, like we don't have enough to worry about already.. ::)
Take care,
xx

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 02:41:41 PM »

Hello Corriane,
Well I had my surgery last Friday but unfortunately had a bleed and they had to operate again later that night.  Was all quite traumatic as this involved an ambulance trip to another hospital and a wait due to the hospital being really busy.
Anyway on the mend now although seriously bruised. Waiting for the results to see if I need a further operation. 
My doctor put me on an antidepressant to help cope with the coming off the hrt which seems to be doing the trick. 
Thanks for asking and I hope you are ok, hope the scan went well.
Take care too. Xx