Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Seasonal Flu  (Read 1568 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Seasonal Flu
« on: March 07, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »

Now 'they' are warning that we are 'in for a long Winter with 'flu outbreaks 4cast.  How would that B then  :-\ we aren't mixing and the 'flu season is over  ::)

The UK must prepare for a "hard winter" because the population immunity to respiratory viruses other than Covid could be lower than usual, one of England's top medics has warned.

Dr Susan Hopkins said the NHS must be "ready" for surges in flu and other similar illnesses.

It comes ahead of England's first step towards easing lockdown, with all pupils returning to school on Monday.

Most pupils have been learning from home since Christmas.

Dr Hopkins, who is in charge of Public Health England's Covid strategy, said the UK needed to be "better prepared" than it was last autumn, when new, faster-spreading variants of the virus emerged.

These drove infection rates up and forced further lockdown measures over the winter.

I HATE the word 'expert' with a vengeance !!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 03:06:03 PM by CLKD »

C.C.

Re: Seasonal Flu
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »

Interesting.  Here the flu cases are way down because of all the handwashing, masks, and social distancing. Plus the government was pushing the flu shot even more and people were lining up to get it.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »

Yep.  That was my 1st thought when I read the News earlier: we are isolating, distancing, hand washing  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »

It's next winter   ;D

"Experts have warned the world may face a dramatic resurgence of flu next winter, after lockdown, masks. increased hygiene and social distancing measures cut the virus to levels not seen for over a century.

Scientists fear that falling immunity levels to influenza - normally sustained by seasonal circulation of the virus - could now pave the way for one of the worst flu outbreaks for years.

“If I had to gamble on it, then I would guess that we are likely to get a more severe epidemic in the coming winter - assuming restrictions are fully lifted by then,” said Prof John Edmunds, of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and a member of the government’s Sage committee of scientific advisors.

“We have effectively missed out on flu this winter, so the levels of immunity are less than would be typical. In fact, it is not impossible that we will have an out-of-season epidemic perhaps in the autumn, rather than winter,” he told the Telegraph."

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »

;D

That isn't clear in what she was sprouting on about  >:(

And why make the statement now  :-\.  We need a break from this whole negative episode!  September will be early enough to remind us !!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »

I think it was clear as we are in Spring now so any Winter must be in the future? Maybe they are hoping that people will at least continue some of the hygiene measures they have adopted? I do feel that I'm going to go down with every feasible bug once we start mixing again! Our immune systems haven't come into contact with many bugs lately.

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 03:43:50 PM »

Fair point Taz.

If we keep washing hands and using masks ?  kids are great carriers though  :-\

Basic hygiene ?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »

Definitely not rubbing your eyes as this is a great transmission route for cold and flu viruses. Always washing hands when coming in to the house. Just trying to reduce the amount of ways the viruses can gain access to the body. After working in a primary school for over twenty years this is just second nature for me anyway.  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »

Plus spraying handles, bin lids etc.. ..........